Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First of all I would like to say hello to everyone on this site. I just signed up and this is my first time posting. What I find unbelieveable is how dead Lake Huron is! I am from the east side of the state but I made of few trips to the west this year and did well. I fished off the walls at Port Sanilac and Lexington the last couple of days and did not even see one jump. This lake used to be teaming with life. It should be prime, water is cold and it's October? Lake Huron has really turned into the dead sea!

·
Registered
1,671 Posts
Welcome aboard, Bigmounts! However I must strongly disagree with your post. I am originally from Alpena and make it over there quite often. I have my boat I fish Lake Michigan with, and fish with my buddies on Lake Huron when I go "home" to Alpena. We fish the tournaments, and do quite well. I've been over there twice to fish along the Lake Huron coast line this fall and out of about three hours of fishing between two of us we were a total of six for nine. I've found when casting, you only get about an hour and a half window of "prime time" and then you might as well pack it up. People talk about there not being fish in Lake Huron, I disagree. Is there less fish? Sure, but I think there is a rebound on the horizon.

Here is a 16lb salmon the "Disorderly Conduct" team caught and took 2nd place in the Rogers City tournament in 2007.

Here is a Labor Day weekend King. Sorry, it's just a head shot. Had to prove to someone that I will use J-Plugs. Even though I'm not the one that set that rod. :lol:

Here is a 8lber in the net from two weeks ago...

And here is a couple laying on the pier from the other trip this fall..

So, they are there...Persistence and determination will put them in your net. Good luck out there...PM me if you need any info on techniques we use.

·
Registered
4,031 Posts
Northern lake huron still holds some good numbers. Compaing Alpena and Port Sanilac and Lexington arent even close. i used to fish PS 3 timesw a week during the run. now i dont even bother! you can still find a few on the big water, but spwning fsh in the harbor are almost nonexistant. head to the black river to find some fish!

·
Registered
1,671 Posts
Yep, ManX...That is exactly where I got that shirt. Okeefe's Reef. That's where we ordered our fishing team jackets from, and I got that shirt there as well.

·
Registered
1,671 Posts
Northern lake huron still holds some good numbers. Compaing Alpena and Port Sanilac and Lexington arent even close. i used to fish PS 3 timesw a week during the run. now i dont even bother! you can still find a few on the big water, but spwning fsh in the harbor are almost nonexistant. head to the black river to find some fish!
I must admit, Jiggineyes...I've never fished any further south than Oscoda, so I guess my post may be out of context. I guess I didn't realize that the fishing was that poor further south. Let's all hope for better fishing! EVERYWHERE! :)

·
Registered
3,223 Posts
20 pound kings and mid 20 pound browns in the past week from lake huron, yet a dead sea for sure, everyone stay away.

·
Registered
5,951 Posts
Nice fish JL, you getting brownie in the usual two places?

·
Registered
3,223 Posts

·
Premium Member
30,124 Posts
Nice job on the Kings and brown J.. was thinking of heading that way tonight, but too tired from work, have to get to sleep. Been up since 8 p.m. last night, and just got home. Going to wake up and watch Mon. night football with son later. Will maybe see you there one day this week, hopefully in rain,cold and a strong N.E. wind, thats when I've always did the best. :D

Is walleyeman getting them browns and keeping quiet.:shhh::whistle:

·
Registered
280 Posts
First of all I would like to say hello to everyone on this site. I just signed up and this is my first time posting. What I find unbelieveable is how dead Lake Huron is! I am from the east side of the state but I made of few trips to the west this year and did well. I fished off the walls at Port Sanilac and Lexington the last couple of days and did not even see one jump. This lake used to be teaming with life. It should be prime, water is cold and it's October? Lake Huron has really turned into the dead sea!

Bigmounts

Be careful of what you say. I slipped and said one thing
derogatory about Lake Huron recently and got torched.

Lkn2fish

·
Registered
5,951 Posts
You guys can say what you want, I've been hearing it since 04', but the people that do the fishing out there and in the tribs know whats really going on.....

·
Registered
3,946 Posts
Here is a 16lb salmon the "Disorderly Conduct" team caught and took 2nd place in the Rogers City tournament in 2007.
And to think...not all that long ago...it took a 30# fish to be in the top 50...

Man...kudos to you guys for your diligence, and I hope things turn around.

·
Banned
9,792 Posts
Average salmon size being caught from a tributary where I have been fishing are averaging a stunted 8-10lbs with an occasional 12lber.Very very few are or have been caught this year compared to last yeaR.I would call it unbelievably dead.Seriously it is dead.:(

1 - 20 of 29 Posts