Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,527 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
help. does anyone know anything about the ultra mags? i've heard the 300 UM is a great round. but no one really knows much about it that i've talked to. any info would be great.

·
Registered
523 Posts
The .300RUM seems a bit off-base to me. I don't see the sense in trying to push a .30cal bullet that fast. I don't think you gain anything worthwhile. I think one would be better off with a heavier, larger-caliber bullet at more moderate velocity.

That's just me, and you'll find there are plenty of different opinions

·
Registered
6,610 Posts
Its a large capacity case [similar to a 30-378 Weatherby without the belt]. They are good for flat trajectory, but come with recoil. I know a few people who have them.
Its the bigger is better syndrome. I really dont have a need for them myself, but it makes for good campfire conversations!

·
Registered
5,289 Posts
I had a 7mm RUM, and have close friends with 300 RUMs and 7mm RUMs.

I loved my 7mm RUM, however it (like was previously stated), did not fill a gaping void and did not provided a huge advantage for MI hunting over my 300 Wby loaded with similar weight bullets.

If one already owned a 300 Win or Wby for example, a 300 RUM basically gains you just a scooch more fps. Nothing that walks in these parts will tell the difference when the bullet hits the bone.

If you are looking to add a magnum to your aresenal, a 300 RUM is a great option. Personally, if I had it to do over, I would go the 300 WIN route, over the Wby I have, however, the price was right at the time.

The Ultras are a nice line of cartridges, the 300 is the obvious leader in sales, but I would not buy one unless I did not already have a magnum anywhere close to it......or the price was right.....or I really liked it......or......:dizzy:

·
Registered
6,610 Posts
Rusty, youve got the "I want to buy-its" again. I cant help you with this syndrome.......I have bought probably 6 guns in the last month or so:dizzy: .

·
Registered
2,418 Posts
I woudl agree with the above too. I would go with the .300 mag if you wanted a magnum in the 30 cal areana. If you are truly looking for more umph... then look at the .338 or maybe one of the other larger bore rifles IMO.

·
Registered
2,295 Posts
I believe that the RUMs offer meaningful advantages that the SSMs, SAUMs, SMs, etc etc really do not.

They are built on beltless cases that hold more powder than the 'standard' magnums they replace. Downside is that the action is longer, rifle cannot be built on a standard magnum receiver.

I would love a 700 in .300 RUM and .338 RUM but not for an all day sling carry hunting rifle - it would be a big heavy gun meant to shoot off a bipod or other rest.

·
Registered
4,023 Posts
Here's my two cents...to get the 200 fps for the 300 RUM over the 300 Win Mag, in some loads, it takes 13 grns, maybe a little more to get that. Is that an acceptable return? It's for each to decide for themselves. Ballistics also show drops at 500 yards of 7" or less and some as small as 3" or so. For me and my uses, I don't think that's a whole lot, esp when considering hunting ranges of 99% of hunters is much less and not shooting off a bench. And the recoil is fairly stiff and I'd say it's comparable to a 338 Win Mag. If I'm going to get pounded like that, I'll take the 338 WM. This is not to take anything away from the 300 RUM, if it fits someones needs or wants, have at it...me, I'd prefer the 300 Win Mag as it will do most of what the RUM will for much less recoil at ranges I'd be shooting.

·
Registered
190 Posts
A few years ago I was thinking about a 300 ultra mag for an elk trip (bigger, flater shooting, latest trend). I tried one out and the recoil was not that bad. You get more out of your slug gun then the rifle. I ended up with a 300 win mag. My reason was from what I heard from a budy of mine. He had an ultra mag which he took out west for mule deer. The damage that he saw to the animal was too extreme and would not hunt with it anymore. I believe he now uses a 30-06 and 300 win mag.

If you want a fun gun at the range or want to do extreme long range shooting go for an ultra mag. But for typical hunting applications you can go much smaller an be affective. I even think now my 300 WM is an overkill, because I took my elk under 100 yards and the typical distance I shoot here is 50-100 yards.

·
Registered
2,295 Posts
IMHO Extreme meat damage is more due to bullet construction rather than pure velocity. For deer of any kind a standard jacket/core bullet like Sierra Game King or Remington CoreLokt is all that is needed. The Ballistic Tip Noslers are wonderfully accurate but have a reputation for 'dramatic terminal disruption' of internal tissue. The Hornady SSTs show dramatic results at 1500 fps out of a muzzleloader - curious what bullet hit that Mulie.

My interest in the RUMs is not for maximum possible velocity but for increased velocity in the heavier bullets: 200s in .300, 250s in .338. I know you can push a 150 or 165 to 3500 fps or whatever in the .300 RUM but I would rather have a 200 at 3050.

The .338 RUM can get a 250 over 2900 - that is a serious long distance shooter.

·
Registered
5,289 Posts
Exactly. In my personal experience, it has everything to do with bullet construction. My 30-06 loaded with 150 gr Ballistic Tips did 10x the damage my 7mm RUM did with 140 gr CoreLokt Ultras/139 gr Interbonds revved to 3600 fps.

I will also say, I am on the opposite side of the fence on the damage argument. I do not like to track animals, I want to see feet flip when I trip the trigger. I will sacrifice the ribs and a front shoulder to avoid chasing an animal into a cedar swamp at dark.

·
Registered
4,293 Posts
I've been meaning to get a Rem 700 in .375 RUM.........thanks for the reminder! :D

·
Registered
190 Posts
There are a lot of factors, bullet weight, velocity, distance, bullet drop. All comes down to preference and shot placement.

My 300 WM was set up to hit an elk out to 400 yards with a 180 grain bulllet, I could take out an elk at 500 yards (<2" goups from prone position), aiming just slightly above the back. The accuracy was there and I did a lot of shooting with it. Ended up taking a I shot around 75 yards and the elk fell right there. No one hates to chase an animal but there is a point where the power can be in excess.

My thought is why go with so much power, wear out your barrel, pay high dollor for ammunition, ect... If you get a gun that can shoot out to 500 yard does not mean the shooter is capable of doing it. It takes a lot of practice on the range without using the benches there. I would love one for my collection, but it is not a gun that should be used in Michigan for hunting. That bullet will travel great distances, and michigan does have a lot of hunters and houses to watch out for.

·
Registered
5,289 Posts
Briar Field said:
My thought is why go with so much power, wear out your barrel, pay high dollor for ammunition, ect... If you get a gun that can shoot out to 500 yard does not mean the shooter is capable of doing it. It takes a lot of practice on the range without using the benches there. I would love one for my collection, but it is not a gun that should be used in Michigan for hunting. That bullet will travel great distances, and michigan does have a lot of hunters and houses to watch out for.
That is what is great about this country. We can all pick what we like....:woohoo1:

Why use a 7mm Ultra when I can't shoot farther than 150 yards at my deer stand in Marquette? Because I hadn't shot anything with it yet.:coolgleam

Power, worn out brrls, odd calibers, expensive ammo........all part of the fun for me. I have no problem with guys who live and die by a 30-30 with peeps, but I like a little "flavor". I enjoy being "that guy" with the rifle that everyone asks "What caliber is that thing?"

·
Registered
4,023 Posts
Rustyaxecamp said:
That is what is great about this country. We can all pick what we like....:woohoo1:
Exactly...kinda my point. For me and my uses, it doesn't fit me but that doesn't mean it won't fit others and what they're looking to use it for. It's great to have those kind of choices :coolgleam .

·
Registered
6,610 Posts
Just remember an 06 or 270 will carry about as far. I also use the 243, 22-250 and 25-06 for woodchucks...its all about precision shooting and safety. It doesnt require the moniker MAGNUM.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts