Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What do you guys think about planting Tecomate's Ultra Forage in the spring? I see that they recommend it as a fall planting, but it looking at the contents, it seems like it would do well in spring. From memory I think the mix is about 15% turnips, 30% rape, 25% clovers, and the rest in chicory and vetch. (Why doesn't anyone put the real contents on their websites?)

If planted in the spring, would this provide any fall or winter attraction or nutrition? Would the turnips would be bigger planted in spring as opposed to fall?

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
I did plant the Tecomate Ultra Forage in the spring. It is one of my favorites. If you plant in May (as I did last year) the deer will start eating the turnips in July. By late August you might only have chicory and clover left. It provides good nutrition through the summer and into the fall. For a hunting plot the July planting works better.

Another option for summer nutrition is to plant turnips and rape (der and purple tops for a cheap high quality forage) in May, then plant the Ultraforage in July after tilling what is left of the turnips under. By the way, the ultraforage has a t-raptor turnip which gets huge leaves, but no bulb.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts