Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
35,620 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since the Ubly area is mostly private are there any steps being taken to stop snaring or conibear trapping in the general area?

How about running of hounds?

·
Banned
11,839 Posts
No, I don't know of why there would be. Beside just a few miles north of Ubly is the Verona State Game Area which is over 7000 acres of state game area.

Because of the wolverine I hope that is not what you may be thinking. I know some may believe a possibility would exist that just because of the wolverine that special hunting or no hunting closure might happen. I do not believe that, even for one second. I know of hundreds of areas in this state with endagered plants etc., and may people would walk right over the top of them without even knowing it including myself on many of those speices. They don't close those areas.

The same thought has been stated about cougars and I believe, based on more the 23 years with the DNR that it would not happen if a cougar was ever found and documented properly either.

But then some would say I'm part of the big conspiracy too.:)

·
Registered
35,620 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply.

It makes me happy know that the whole world doesn't have to go on hold just because one of god's non native creatures suddenly showed up.

I'm kind of rooting for him to make it to where ever he/she is bound for.

·
Registered
11,711 Posts
Boehr, just wondering if they have a closed area for the Kirtland Warbler up by Grayling? I thought they did? I think this might be what Luv2 was getting to. Might it be because, this maybe the only nesting grounds in the country for these birds? To us here we think wolverines are more rare then a Warbler.

Heck, since we are called a wolverine state and this maybe the only known wolverine running around. I am sure there is some group already thinking the area where the animal lives should be closed down, if they can locate it.

·
Banned
11,839 Posts
The nesting area is only closed May 1 through September 10 and is open during hunting season.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts