Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
270 Posts
Sorry this report is a week late, had some technical difficulties processing the pictures.

Last weekend I met my girlfriend (who attends the University of Minnesota) up in Escanaba. Not only is it the halfway point for us, it's also amidst amazing Trout water. With the help of TonyP, we managed to find a small creek with a really neat waterfall.

The water was extremely low, and the structure TonyP was telling me about seemed to have been washed away. We did, however, manage to land a couple of VERY small Brookies out of this stream (4-6 inches) on dries.

After searching maps and county roads for other streams, we decided to ask for help in finding bigger water, as everything seemed to be pretty dried up. A very helpful Vince Vaughn-like character at a liquor store told us about a stretch of the Escanaba River that might be Trout-productive this time of year. When we got there, the water was LOW, and clear.

We kept wading up stream, looking for any deep holes. I was beginning to lose hope in finding Trout here, until we came to a long slow 25 yard stretch of much deeper water (2-5 feet). "Well, lets give THIS a shot".

Morgan was casting a #12 Parachute Adams, and I was ripping a streamer downstream of her. We were really fishing in the dark. Finally I hear Morgan- "Rob!"

Her rod was throbbing, and there was a boil under the surface. It quickly got off, but then she looks out and says "I just saw one rise". She casts, perfect drift, "WHAM!" We had found our honey-hole!

It seemed as though this was the only stretch of deep water for miles, as the Trout just seemed to be STACKED up in here. We came upon a mid-afternoon Mayfly hatch, and the Adams was all we needed. Fish were rising very consistently, and it quickly turned in to an absolute riot of catching Brown after Brown on dry flies, all in the 12-15 inch range!

In the evening, when fish seemed to stop rising, I tied on a streamer, and Morgan tied on a nymph. I IMMEDIATELY started turning fish on streamers. It was almost too easy, every single hole behind any big rock, we would turn a fish. We didn't land any lunkers, but we did roll quite a few fish over 17 inches. It got to the point where I would tell Morgan to videotape me as I ripped a streamer through a hole. We actually got some pretty sweet video of fish exploding on the surface, missing my streamer!

Morgan caught this beauty on a nymph:

We went back the next Monday morning to fish for only 2 more hours before we had to take-off. No fish were rising, so we tied on streamers, it being the first time Morgan had really fished a streamer.

My first cast rolled a 15+ inch fish right under the surface. "Did you see that?!" I yell to Morgan. "No! Cast again!" she replied as she was rigging up on the bank. I cast again to the same spot- Strip, strip- 'WOOSH!' A 17+ inch Brown rolls completely out of the water for my streamer. "Omg I saw that!"

We turned a ton of fish on streamers, and caught a few. After using a streamer for the first time for only 10 minutes, Morgan managed to land one!

It was some of the best Trout fishing either of us has experienced as far as numbers of wild Trout turned/caught goes. It was an absolute blast, and we wish we could go back soon.

Thanks roughed up version of Vince Vaughn!

·
Registered
7,598 Posts
Great report!

Quite a few of the U.P. streams will suffer from low or warm water. If one puts on the hiking boots and finds springs and deeper water they will have memorable action!

The Escanaba and it's branches definetly fits that description. I lived in Gwinn for a few years and loved exploring that river!

Thanks for taking the time to share your trip with us all!:)

·
Registered
8,291 Posts
Great report with very nice fish! I love the UP and wish I got a chance to fish up there this summer, next year!

·
Registered
11,452 Posts
suh-wheeeeeeeeet, thanks for sharing that.

·
Premium Member
9,594 Posts
Some really nice fish and a darn good looking woman to take along.........excellent.:D

·
Registered
2 Posts
I think I took *HIM* along! I jest. We totally met in the middle, metaphysically and otherwise.

This was one of the most incredible days of fishing I've ever had, in terms of hooking one right after the other, and all of a decent size. You can kinda see that in our faces :)....

·
Registered
9,526 Posts
Now thats a nice report, thanks for taking us along.

·
Registered
8,597 Posts
Many thanks for such a wonderful report. The pictures are excellent. Some of life's most precious moments take place in the presence of a fish, and by the looks of the smiles you both had some on your trip. :D

·
Registered
226 Posts
Awesome pics, I was just in this area near the end of July, that exact same spot actually. I didn't have near the luck you two did however, nice work. Looking forward to going back there and giving it another try.

·
Registered
709 Posts
I guess everyone knows about the ole' honey hole... :rolleyes: My cabin is about 3 miles from that spot on the eski river.

Great spot, I was up there over labor day and couldn't believe I get to fish the river almost alone. Caught a ton of browns and a couple rainbows mixed in. Great area. Last year I seen 3 wolves come around that corner and leap up the rock shelf in one jump, it was amazing.

·
Registered
1,309 Posts
I guess everyone knows about the ole' honey hole... :rolleyes: My cabin is about 3 miles from that spot on the eski river.

Great spot, I was up there over labor day and couldn't believe I get to fish the river almost alone. Caught a ton of browns and a couple rainbows mixed in. Great area. Last year I seen 3 wolves come around that corner and leap up the rock shelf in one jump, it was amazing.

Geez, and you didn't get a shot?:D

·
Registered
956 Posts
Sounds like an amazing trip! Thanks for sharing.
Jim

·
Registered
867 Posts
Thanks--nice report and nice fish. I have heard stories of great fishing on the Main Branch Escanaba but have not experienced it myself.

To Ms. Sherburne, I hope you are getting some fishing in on the streams of Southeast MN... now that is some great fishing down there! I won't be too reluctant to give up my U.P. fishing for that region as I plan to move back to Mankato next fall.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I've only fished the SE Minnesota stream(s) once...the Snake River. I only had one evening and morning to fish, and it was a few years ago, so I didn't really know what I was doing. Didn't catch anything, but I keep reading/hearing about these bits of business. I might have to go next weekend (stupid grad school and its busy-making) to check things out.

I fished last Sunday the Rush River in Wisconsin, but didn't do any good. Same deal as the Snake River--the water was so skinny I just didn't know what I was doing. And I think it gets fished pretty hard, since it's so close to the Twin Cities. I clearly need to be doing some more investigating :).

·
Premium Member
21,607 Posts
Thanks for the great report w/photos.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts