Votes: 22 42.3%
  • Non-typical

Votes: 30 57.7%
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If a typical buck and a non-typical buck were in range for you to harvest, same size, which one would you take?

·
Registered
1,626 Posts
Non-typical w/ 8 inch drop tines and 75 sticker points grossing 330 inches. Okay, will someone please get me a towel?

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I too would like a buck with a drop-tine. Had one on the farm I hunt 5 years ago, but neighbor poached it (they caught him). Unfortunately, the gene was not passed on.

·
Registered
1,615 Posts
Considering you stated they are the same size. I had to go w/ the typical.

Now if you said a 150 typical or a 175 non-typical........ :D

·
Registered
35,298 Posts
Given a choice and I thought both were at least 3.5 years old I would have to say line them up and take both.

I try to stay with my camp rule of 3.5 years old or older. I haven't had much luck on the older part yet. :(

·
Registered
2,668 Posts
I've got a question....

Why does the DNR go through all the hassle of removing teeth and jaw bones to determine a Deers age?

Seems to me there are quite a few on here who could save us a ton of bucks (no pun) just by eyeballing!!!!

·
Registered
3,706 Posts
That is why we have 2 tags!

Dan

·
Registered
3,411 Posts
Originally posted by Supa Roosta
I've got a question....

Why does the DNR go through all the hassle of removing teeth and jaw bones to determine a Deers age?

Seems to me there are quite a few on here who could save us a ton of bucks (no pun) just by eyeballing!!!!
Hunters who hunt the same area or region, should over time, be able to differentiate to some degree of accuracy the age of "their" deer. Maybe not the exact age, but the difference between fawns, 1 1/2, 2 1/2 and 3 1/2 and older deer.

As an example, I could not go to farmlegend`s property and field age deer in his area. I can however do a pretty good job of field aging deer on my property since I spend so much time there. I saw 4 deer this morning while hunting. While I have no way to prove it, I would lay money on my age estimations. Two were fawns, that was easy. One doe was 1 1/2 and the other was 2 1/2+.

·
Premium Member
17,583 Posts
I find that sometimes the difference between 1 1/2 and 2 1/2 to be the toughest to call, especially in the southern 1/3 of the state. Anything 3 1/2 or older (in most instances) is a completely different animal.

·
Registered
518 Posts
I voted for non-typical because i think it is neat how every different non-typical has it's own unique features. Some typicals can appear to look similar, but hardly ever do two non-typicals seem to support similar headgear. Either way, I would just like to get a nice buck, typical or non-typical.

Jay

·
Super Moderator
6,903 Posts
it would depend on what i am looking at. i would love to shot a drop tine buck but at the same time i will take a typical with 12"+ G 2's over the drop tine.

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
Non typical the way, as I have never harvested one. Some of them Non racks are really cool looking and would be a nice addition for the trophy room.

Grizzly.

·
Registered
2,692 Posts
Wouldn't I love to have to make this decision in real life? Since the probability of taking another nontypical is a lot less than another typical, I'd go for the non. Either would be a animal I'd be proud of, however.

John E.
Ypsilanti

1 - 17 of 17 Posts