Michigan-Sportsman.com banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Been wondering how/what others are tying.
Just flies for trout?
Existing patterns or your own creation?

In addition to trout flies I tie jigs/spinners, ice flies, dressed trebles, and tipping flies (flies designed to be tipped with bait) for pier whitefish and steel.
I came up with a fly version of a jigging rap, complete with fore/aft hooks and belly treble. Slayed the crappie with it.
I only fish my own flies and patterns I created.
I got some sweet patterns I'd love to show off but they're my secret weapons.

·
Registered
4,115 Posts
I have more flies and boxes than I will use in two lifetimes right now, however I will be tying more up all year. Mostly Blue Gill and Steelhead, with a few Trout thrown in for good measure. Almost all of my flies are my own adaptation of a fly I have used, seen, been gifted, except for dry flies, hard to improve on near perfect dries from the masters of the past.

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Gonna finish filling my carp/bluegill box this winter. I got some carp last Spring on a purple and olive streamer. I really like how those colors look together, the carp did too.

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Very true, hard to improve on the existing trout dries. I make a forward wing elk hair caddis to imitate mayflies, I really like it.

·
Registered
658 Posts
Funny, I was just looking up knot tying tools in another browser.

Not thread derail, but does anyone have a preferred nail not tool? Now that bifocals are a lifelong companion,
I
'm gonna try this one.

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I never bothered with nail knots, uni knots work for me. Bifocals are my companion now too.
Back to topic...
I also made some tipping flies for suckers.
A little spot of chennile and yarn on a #6 Aberdeen baited with leafworm. Outfished my buddy 3 to 1.

·
Registered
4,115 Posts
Knot to further derail this thread, but here is a very easy leader to tippet knot from Lefty Krey.
Sorry guys, the link did not take, so here is the direct link.

Attachments

1 - 10 of 10 Posts