Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well tomorrows the big day.Trying to tie flies after having had my index finger amputated.I figure this will be a new process of learning.Lucky i am right handed but use my left hand to help out.My question for everyone here is do you know of anyone with this condition and how are are they at tying with there problem.

·
Registered
3,011 Posts
Shouldnt hurt a thing since your right handed especially. Im sure youll get on just fine. I know of two excellent 4 fingered guitar players.

·
Registered
2,598 Posts
Kevin,
With they way you tie, I don't think that it will be long, and you will be crankin 'em out again. They will look just as good also. What happened?

·
Registered
354 Posts
A month or so after you start tying and you probably won't even notice the difference. Here's to a speedy recovery!

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
well dale and scott the cause for the amputation was frostbite.Really bites working outside on a cold day.lucky it was only one finger and not more.

·
Premium Member
9,775 Posts
I used to work with a guy who lost two fingers in a farming accident. Turns out that after a short time you won't even notice you don't have it any more. You'll be functioning just fine and wonder what that finger was for in the first place.;)

·
Registered
5,823 Posts
It wont take long before you forget about it and adapt to it being gone. I got part of my pinky finger cut off in a snowblower accident and dont even think about it now..... Shortly after it happened, I tried to play racquet ball and man does your pinky do more than you think! I couldnt even grip the handle hard enough to hit the ball with it, when the ball hit the racquet just flopped back. Good luck on the tying and keep us posted!!

·
Registered
3,011 Posts
I forgot a guy cut at work cut into his hand above the thumb and almost got to his pinky before the circ saw he was using let him go. He had it all reaattached and has full use but the arthritis is killing him all the time in the cold.

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Just wanted to say thanks for the suport guys.Friday i had the stiches removed.I ve also started back to tying;right now things are slow going but it will get better.

·
Registered
394 Posts
I to, feel your pain brother, I had a near amp. on my rt. thumb, index and middle finger. My thumb and index are both alot shorter and are permanently straight. I have some problems doing certain things but when it comes to my lifes passion, I always figure out a way. I didnt fly fish or tie flies before my accident, now, I do both. This is a mere obsticale in our journey. You will be amazed of the accomplishments you are about to acheive and you will do it w/ 1 less finger, dont let this slow you down, You will find the way.

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
Thanks for your stories of inspiration! :)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts