Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just bought these for full core set ups but every time we had a fish or tried to bring them in they dove and it was next to impossible to get them back up. How do you guys use these?

·
Registered
8,420 Posts
Set them so they release instead of having to fight a board to the boat. Then just Throw a bead above your bait about 5 ft or so to stop it from sliding all the way down. That's how I would do it. I still run big boards but if I did use them that's what I would do.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Try keeping the rod tip low and pointed at the water. It took us two trips and one or two orange board rodeos to figure this out. Once you get the hang of it you'll love it we run two out each side then four riggers. It just takes time to get use to it.

·
Registered
552 Posts
The front clip on the TX44 is not designed to release. If your board dives, open your bail release and let the board float to the surface. It will help if you slow the boat or pop it into neutral. Make sure you set the board up exactly like the instructions. Avoid pumping the rod with the 44 attached.

·
Registered
2,495 Posts
Set them so they release instead of having to fight a board to the boat. Then just Throw a bead above your bait about 5 ft or so to stop it from sliding all the way down. That's how I would do it. I still run big boards but if I did use them that's what I would do.
You would (or want to) have a different release than what comes with a TX-44 if you wan't it to release. With the weights moved forward on the 44's pull in easier and no diving problems.

http://www.anglersavenueproshop.com/sams-pro-release/

Scroll down, there is a video on using this release. You should only use braid to use this release though.

You can also do these mods, 1 board at a time to make sure you like the changes.

http://www.bloodruntackle.com/planer-board-mods-tips/

Lots of good info on their page!

·
Premium Member
10,562 Posts
Not sure if you are using the top slot or bottom slot when rigging the boards. Use the bottom one so that the release pin on the back is in the water. Makes a huge difference.

Point the rod tip at the board all the way in until you pull the board out of the water.

Reactions: Corey K

·
Registered
70 Posts
I went with a guy once who rigged his boards so they'd release when a fish bites, but used a strong rubber band by the rear connection to keep the board from sliding down the line. So he still had to reel in the board and take it off the line, but it wouldn't dive since it was being towed backwards after the strike.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Point the rod towards the board or hold it sideways toward the opposite side of the boat. When it gets close lift it up and don't let it dive. I had trouble at first, but I've gotten good with my 44's

1 - 8 of 8 Posts