Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I live between two zones and trap the bottom of zone 2 and the top of zone 3. I always thought one day I might finally catch my first otter, but I never thought it would happen like this. The morning started off slow with a couple of rats and one small beaver. Then all the sudden I thought i saw something in a 330 set in a skinny spot on the creek. I tried not to get two excited as I pulled the trap out of the water. OTTER!!!!!! My first ever. I couldn't have been happier. That trap caught nothing for two weeks and finally paid off. Went strait home to show the misses and the excitement spread like wildfire. I told her I was mounting it and she agreed. Then I checked my zone three traps. This spot has been good to me with 5 beaver this week, one being in the mid 50lbs. This spot held nothing. The I remembered I had one trap yet to check that I just set yesterday. This spot was were the beaver were cuting on top of the ice. There only way out of there icy cover was a current flow under a log which left an spot by the bank clear of ice. When I got to the trap the number 5 was missing. Pulling the drown line in I felt weight. Then I see otter tracks next to me on the bank. No, it can't be. It is!!! This one even bigger than the first. This is the best day of trapping i have ever had and it will be a hard one to top. Both otter are getting mounted so if anyone has any otter mount's I would love to see them.

Both otter were males. I am tagged out now and very weary not to catch another one on accident.pulled some of the traps that weren't beaver targetted, runways, ext.

·
Registered
26,621 Posts
Very very nice, good job and congrats.

I am trying for one that's illuded me for 3 years, hopefully this is the Christmas that I get him.

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I hear ya freepop. I have been trapping for 13 years and have yet to catch one until now. Had two pull out of coon traps in the last couple of years and one just miss a 330 earlier this year. It just made it sweeter when i finally connected.:D

·
Registered
2,216 Posts
Both otter were males. I am tagged out now and very weary not to catch another one on accident.pulled some of the traps that weren't beaver targetted, runways, ext.
[/IMG]

First off congrats on your first otters they sure are a lot of fun! I can see the excitement in your post. I remember my first some 20 years ago and I was extremely excited. Now the fun begins avoiding them like you said. Otters most always travel in pairs so there is a great chance in both of your spots the female is still hanging around the area, they usually will for up sometimes up to a week. Where I took mine yesterday there were other otter tracks all over the place that were made after the catch.

You mentioned two weeks on the first set and a lesson learned you need a lot of patience for them to come back around sometimes. I have had sets go three months before they connected, but I knew if one came through the chances were really good of tagging one. Again congrats on the otters.

OT

·
Registered
452 Posts
Man oh man nice job!!! I love the otter pics. I have never connected with one yet...somday i will... Wish i had the time to trap this season. This year i am off... Next season i cannot wait for now. Otter pic's always gets me in the mood to trap. Great job!

·
Registered
2,522 Posts
Great job and pictures!

An otter is high on my want list. In my area it is very unlikely and I have never heard of one taken. I did get an otter tag in case I get one in a beaver set. (I'd have a better chance of getting struck by lightning:lol:)

·
Registered
807 Posts
MapleRiver Salmon,

Congrats on the great catch! Getting two at once must have been so sweet.

Fur-minator,

I have not really seen otter sign on the Shiawassee, but I would not be surprised if there is some in that river system.

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
The shi just north of chesineing has a good share of otter.I have seen them in the spring at the gary rd bridge. Also saw them towards st. Charles on the same river system. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
2,522 Posts
The shi just north of chesineing has a good share of otter.I have seen them in the spring at the gary rd bridge. Also saw them towards st. Charles on the same river system. Hope this helps.
Yes that gets me excited. It shouldn't be too much to have them travel another 15 to 20 miles. They could probably do that in a couple of nights if they were dispersing.

·
Registered
571 Posts
Too cool Maple River, those otters are B E Autiful!! Your right on that one!!! That there is a hard day to beat on the line!! Congrats:)!!

·
Registered
2,216 Posts
Yes that gets me excited. It shouldn't be too much to have them travel another 15 to 20 miles. They could probably do that in a couple of nights if they were dispersing.
Their home range can be a lot larger than that so yes easily can be done. Otters have huge home ranges and depending on food and ease of travel they can have a range up to 50 sq. miles, not likely many cover that much area, but they can. OT

1 - 17 of 17 Posts