Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

Two turkey

2481 Views 37 Replies 25 Participants Last post by  don
Read dnr is thinking of allowing two toms in spring.I be okay with it if they did away with fall hunt where in southern region you can buy license a day until out and they never run out.some people go nuts and shoot as many as they can.just like 10 doe permits I don’t think anyone needs ten deers it’s crazy get enough people doing tat in one area pretty much wipe them out then complain next year not seeing many
21 - 38 of 38 Posts
I would never shoot 2 either way.....our area could handle that but just not interested and they don't taste like a butterball :D
One thing about turkey hunting is you can have great hunt evan with out shooting one.just hearing start to gobble in dark and than calling one in is plenty fun for me
So can we purchase another left over license if available in 2023??
No. The 2023 spring turkey digest is available to look at online.

L & O
So can we purchase another left over license if available in 2023??
Reactions: whistler
They do, and then some, in the NW13 counties.
The turkey survey consistently shows ~70% of hunters rate their experience good, very good, or excellent - why ruin a good thing?

The DNR probably wishes they could get that kind of satisfaction from deer hunters.
Reactions: Radar420
Just anecdotal but I don't think I've ever heard of someone or know anyone who has shot a turkey in fall.
So why is the assumption always that anything the DNR does must be a disaster? Even here in a thread where folks are admitting that the DNR were the saviors of turkeys in Michigan. [emoji1787]

They aren't going to do anything that crashes the population of turkeys. Also, the not harvesting hens thing cracks me up as well as its the same debate about big walleye females and does. It is an antiquated line of thought that you guys that have hunted for 40 years had pounded into your heads from the time when turkey, deer, etc numbers were much lower.

I've seen herds (they graduate from flock to herd in my mind when there are enough of them yarded up, lol) of over 50 birds all over the place this winter.

Sent from my SM-S908U using Michigan Sportsman mobile app
All of mine have been fall birds, I believe. Spring is too hard to pull off the fishing for me.

Sent from my SM-S908U using Michigan Sportsman mobile app
Just anecdotal but I don't think I've ever heard of someone or know anyone who has shot a turkey in fall.
Macs13
I have hunted turkeys since the early 80's. Last spring I noticed that there were fewer birds around where they have always been. The turkey population has been on a steady decline over the last few years. In my travels, I have not seen a single turkey this winter. With the bare ground in the cornfields, I would think that there would be turkeys in them looking for leftover corn on the ground. Nope?

The fall season is meant to be a way to control an overpopulation of turkeys by taking hens. With the decline in the population of turkeys, the fall season needs to END.
Reactions: don
This will be the first year since the first one that I will not be hunting them, nearly non-existent in my area from what I have seen here for the last couple of years.
If you are blessed with a huntable population in your area consider yourself very fortunate, who knows, things may change for you too the way things are apparently going in some. :cry:
Reactions: multibeard
why not go and find a place that has a huntable population. Problem solved!
This will be the first year since the first one that I will not be hunting them, nearly non-existent in my area from what I have seen here for the last couple of years.
If you are blessed with a huntable population in your area consider yourself very fortunate, who knows, things may change for you too the way things are apparently going in some. :cry:
Thinking I know Don like me is not that young anymore. Traveling very far to hunt turkeys is not an option. There were times last spring when I stayed in the car while my son and my grandson went after a tom we had located. I just can not do the walking anymore

Years ago my lifelong buddy and I would hit up to 5 counties in a day of hunting turkeys. There were times I would locate over 40 toms before the season opened. This was done with only locator calls. I never located them with a turkey call until the season opened.
Reactions: Justin and don
Sweet

Now I can trade turkey hunting for deer hunting in illinois, one tag wasn't worth the drive for them.
Thinking I know Don like me is not that young anymore. Traveling very far to hunt turkeys is not an option. There were times last spring when I stayed in the car while my son and my grandson went after a tom we had located. I just can not do the walking anymore

Years ago my lifelong buddy and I would hit up to 5 counties in a day of hunting turkeys. There were times I would locate over 40 toms before the season opened. This was done with only locator calls. I never located them with a turkey call until the season opened.
That’s my problem use to love moving and laying in weeds now afraid of ticks got bit 3times took months to heal plus can’t do walking so
Just sit in blind call no problem gettingone but not near the fun
Reactions: multibeard
If I never kill another turkey I'll be fine with it, I've killed far more than my fair share in my lifetime. If they re-establish themselves in my area before I die I will hunt them again but between the predators eating them/destroying the nest, and the over abundance and increasing in numbers of Amish in my area I doubt that will happen.
Not complaining, (for the most part) just facts.
why not go and find a place that has a huntable population. Problem solved!
A few footholds help with the predator problem.
Not seeing the Amish connection ?? An Amish community in my area and few of them hunt turkey. They all deer hunt and are getting into the passing of small bucks and taking does.

L & O
....... and increasing in numbers of Amish in my area I doubt that will happen.
You are fortunate Richard, the families east of the Blanchard area apparently haven’t evolved to that point yet.
The deer thing is an absolute joke, you can ask any of hunters native to the area and not one will disagree.
Maybe there is hope, but I haven’t seen any signs of that in this particular area yet. The DNR is well aware, more than one visit has taken place.
Not seeing the Amish connection ?? An Amish community in my area and few of them hunt turkey. They all deer hunt and are getting into the passing of small bucks and taking does.

L & O
21 - 38 of 38 Posts