Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

· Registered
5,717 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Read dnr is thinking of allowing two toms in spring.I be okay with it if they did away with fall hunt where in southern region you can buy license a day until out and they never run out.some people go nuts and shoot as many as they can.just like 10 doe permits I don’t think anyone needs ten deers it’s crazy get enough people doing tat in one area pretty much wipe them out then complain next year not seeing many

· Registered
832 Posts
Read dnr is thinking of allowing two toms in spring.I be okay with it if they did away with fall hunt where in southern region you can buy license a day until out and they never run out.some people go nuts and shoot as many as they can.just like 10 doe permits I don’t think anyone needs ten deers it’s crazy get enough people doing tat in one area pretty much wipe them out then complain next year not seeing many
I had to double check the rule book as I thought it was only a gobbler in the spring (one bird) and one bird in the fall any sex. You’re correct in that it states that you may purchase one license per day until quota is met. Not sure if I overlooked that in the past or if they changed the rules recently.

· Registered
253 Posts
Got a link or anything to where you read that? Pretty interesting if true.

· Registered
5,717 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I had to double check the rule book as I thought it was only a gobbler in the spring (one bird) and one bird in the fall any sex. You’re correct in that it states that you may purchase one license per day until quota is met. Not sure if I overlooked that in the past or if they changed the rules recently.
It is just one Tom in spring in fall you can shoot hens which is crazy

· Premium Member
8,266 Posts
I never saw or heard two Toms in the Spring season, in fact I never saw or heard even one here until the first week of June.
The good news is that I have seen a few hens towing poults past one of my cameras but only on a sporadic basis.

· Registered
253 Posts
Michigan would. While other states that actually manage their game animals are dropping down to the number of birds allowed due to declining turkey numbers Michigan would increase theirs even with drastically declining numbers🤦‍♂️
This is why I said "pretty interesting if true" in my earlier comment. All I've been reading is everybody else cutting back.

· Registered
119 Posts
A couple years ago I was begging for an extra license but after seeing the population dwindle last 2 years in both areas of the state that I frequent, I would hate to see it until or unless the populations start growing again.Part of me wants to blame the deer baiting ban, but it's more than that. Probably has more correlation to the nest predator populations.

· Registered
221 Posts
Forget the catchy misleading headline. That is an mucc only resolution and they know very little about turkey management. Read the total article and it mentions the concerns of dnr and nwtf have with that proposal. Dnr and the nwtf presented to the NRC outlining many of the current issues with declining turkey numbers across much of the US. Many states are making drastic cuts in their seasons to combat declines in numbers. Both dnr and nwtf have asked for much needed research to understand the issues nationwide as it relates to Michigan. Both dnr and nwtf argue now is not the time for this move until we have research data to support such a change.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Michigan Sportsman mobile app

· Registered
5,717 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
ya here where I live st,clair county we have good turkey population hate to see it end.I just wish we didn’t have that fall hunt where you you can buy license a day until they run out and they never do and shoot hens to.All it would take is a few guys in area that shoot as many as they can and wipe them out.I here we are getting some young hunters around me talking about how many they want to shoot,You don’t need turkeys in fall there’s plenty of other things to hunt

· Registered
4,804 Posts
That would be a great way to destroy one of the most successful things the DNR has ever accomplished.
The turkey survey consistently shows ~70% of hunters rate their experience good, very good, or excellent - why ruin a good thing?

The DNR probably wishes they could get that kind of satisfaction from deer hunters.

· Registered
8,469 Posts
Meateater did a podcast several years ago with a biologist from somewhere down south. His name alludes me. But they did surveys of gobbling activity and tracked turkeys and owls are real sobs on gobblers. The survival rate for a bird to reach two years old was super low as I remember from the study. So low it made me feel guilty about shooting any long beard. Lol. But yah. Let’s raise our bag limit. Where I am at in lapeer county I can tell you the numbers are definitely not what they were 4-5 years ago. There are still pockets of good numbers. But not as dispersed as years ago it seems. I haven’t seen a single hen with poults on my property all summer. Not good.

Sent from my iPhone using Michigan Sportsman

· Registered
7,651 Posts
If they never started fall hunts with allowing hens we probably could definitely have a two tom season available in certain areas for sure.
Do we need it no but rural areas with very limited access wouldn't affect the population.
If they did this those surveys will end up like the deer hunting ones.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts