Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
820 Posts
i'm not sure how i feel about this when i was younger i knew i was ready at the age of 8.
I'm sure others are to but then there are some who arnt ready till there 12 or even 18 :rolleyes:

I dont know if i would trust some kids with any weapons

·
Registered
8,116 Posts
That's fantastic...every kid is different and if these kids are ready at a young age at the discretion of their parents....GET THEM OUT IN THE FIELD!

It's a shame that some kids will shoot thousands of people playing video games years before they ever step into the out of doors with a gun or bow while actively participating in something so life changing and wholesome as hunting. We get them involved in video games, T.V., hockey, football, and baseball...and they can actively play and have a great time, and then years later attempt to get them to love hunting. Not that other sports are wrong, but while that kid is establishing a foundation for the rest of his life in his or her early years...that foundation often does not include the active participation in hunting. It's no wonder that our average age of hunter is increasing and our license sales are decreasing.

Great job Ohio and WI...and to all the other states that already have younger age limits!

·
Registered
3,706 Posts
As I stated on another thread, I am most impressed with those states that actually see an issue and act. Michigan continues to "over examine" this and other issues for fear of alienating some small group on either side of an issue.

I too commend Wisconsin and Pennsylvania! Looks like good places to take my daughter next year!

Dan

·
Registered
2,362 Posts
One Eye said:
I too commend Wisconsin and Pennsylvania! Looks like good places to take my daughter next year!

Dan

Same here. If Michigan don't want my $$ those other states will

·
Banned
1,755 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
One Eye said:
As I stated on another thread, I am most impressed with those states that actually see an issue and act. Michigan continues to "over examine" this and other issues for fear of alienating some small group on either side of an issue.

Dan
There are also no minimum age requirements in Ohio, Indiana, and Illinois (as well as many other states) - all three great states to take a youngster hunting. Lord willing, I'll be taking my nine year old son on his first deer hunt (he's accompanied me many times) tomorrow afternoon in Ohio.

·
Registered
8,116 Posts
One Eye,

If you want me to point you in the right direction for near where I hunt in PA I'd be happy to.

Also, while it would be GREAT for MI to lower the age to 12 for rifle...I'd personally be happier with unlimited while hunting with a "mentor". 12 is too late as far as I'm concerned and I will get my kids out many years before then if possible...but it's better than 14.

·
Registered
18,038 Posts
From U.S. Sportsmen's Alliance

FOR IMMEDIATE REELEASE

Dale Miles (614) 888-4868 ext. 226
Beth Ruth (614) 888-4868 ext. 214

DEC. 27, 2005

Pennsylvania Governor Signs Families Afield Bill

(Harrisburg) - Pennsylvania has become the first state in the nation to pass legislation designed to encourage more young people to take up hunting in an effort to increase sportsmen’s numbers.

On Dec. 22, Gov. Ed Rendell signed HB 1690, authorizing the Pennsylvania Game Commission to create a mentored youth hunting program. The bill is part of the Families Afield campaign. The U.S. Sportsmen’s Alliance, along with the National Wild Turkey Federation and the National Shooting Sports Foundation, introduced Families Afield in an effort to counteract the declining numbers of sportsmen by boosting the recruitment rate of young people in the outdoor sports.

“Governor Rendell has given Pennsylvania sportsmen, young and old, a great Christmas present,” said U.S. Sportsmen’s Alliance Vice President for Government Affairs Rob Sexton. “He, along with Representatives Bruce Smith and Ed Staback, as well as Senator Joe Conti, should be applauded for their commitment to sportsmen in their state.”

The Pennsylvania Senate unanimously passed HB 1690 on Dec. 13. Rep. Bruce Smith, R-Dillsburg, originally introduced the bill to allow the hunting of coyotes over bait. Sen. Joe Conti, R-Doylestown, Chairman of the Senate Game and Fisheries Committee, attached the mentored youth hunting language to the bill.

On Dec. 14, the House of Representatives overwhelmingly approved the Senate’s amendment and sent it to the Governor’s desk.

The U.S. Sportsmen’s Alliance worked with the Pennsylvania Mentored Youth Committee, led by the state chapter of the National Wild Turkey Federation and the Pennsylvania Federation of Sportsmen’s Clubs, National Rifle Association and others to rally sportsmen in the state to show support for the bill.

For further information about the Families Afield program, contact Rob Sexton of the U.S. Sportsmen's Alliance at (614) 888-4868, Tammy Sapp of the National Wild Turkey Federation at (800) THE-NWTF; Steve Wagner of the National Shooting Sports Foundation at (203) 426-1320.

The U.S. Sportsmen’s Alliance protects the rights of hunters, anglers and trappers in the courts, legislatures, at the ballot, in Congress and through public education programs. For more information about the U.S. Sportsmen’s Alliance and its work, call (614) 888-4868 or visit its website, www.ussportsmen.org.

·
Banned
1,755 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hopefully this progress in other states will at least help the proposal in MI get passed of reducing the firearms deer season age to 12.

·
cold, dead hands ......
6,198 Posts
Neal said:
Let's not forget about Michigan, the bill to lower the firearm deer age to 12 is still sitting in the house committee.
And sitting ...... and sitting ...... and sitting. Like I've said before, by the time they see the light my 10 and 12 yr olds will be in college!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:bash:

·
Registered
18,038 Posts
There are still a few bumps in the road to get past.

Too young to go hunting? Says who?
Some people want children to hunt early; others disagree

When an 8-year-old girl made headlines this fall by bagging the first black bear of the season, many Marylanders were surprised to learn the state has no minimum age limit for hunting. However, for some families in rural areas such as Garrett County, learning to handle firearms is as much a part of childhood as losing baby teeth.

Hunting opponents aim to change that. The Humane Society of the United States is talking with state legislators about establishing a minimum hunting age of perhaps 16, said Heidi Prescott, the society's senior vice president of campaigns.

http://www.newsobserver.com/122/story/384838.html

·
Registered
52 Posts
I think younsters should be able to get into the outdoors because it will get them from sitting in front of the tv and get them away from video games that almost every kid in america has. And it will get them off the streets later in life. It will help our resources to because it will get our state more money and maby some of that money might go to our resouce and we need that.$

·
Registered
18,038 Posts
This two state thread is growing with more states jumping on the bandwagon.

North Dakota debates age when kids can hunt deer

North Dakota is one of four states that require deer gun hunters to be at least 14 years old. Two of those states, Michigan and Utah, are considering legislation to lower the age.

Those states are among 20 considered to be the most restrictive for deer hunting, according to a report funded by the National Shooting Sports Foundation and the National Wild Turkey Federation. They require hunters to be at least 12 years old to get a deer gun license, and most of those require applicants to complete a hunter safety course.

http://www.billingsgazette.com/inde...news/2006/01/08/build/outdoors/40-hunting.inc

·
Registered
2,696 Posts
KalamazooKid said:
And sitting ...... and sitting ...... and sitting. Like I've said before, by the time they see the light my 10 and 12 yr olds will be in college!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:bash:
Yeh, its been sitting for 2 years that I know of. My oldest will be 14 next year, but the next in line will 12 this year. I am really hoping they change it.

But my take is that this is just a token billand will take another 5 years before someone gets the balls to sign it.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Was watching Great Lake Oudoors big buck night part one, the other day. The first deer they had on the show was a nice buck that a kid shot from another state. Making a little hint??????

·
Registered
123 Posts
I started going duck and pheasant hunting along with my Dad at age 5, and firearm deer hunting at age 10. No, I did not carry a gun until I was 12 and 14 as the State of MI allowed, but it didn't stop me from being in the field.

My 3 children are now 10, 7 and 5. All 3 have been hunting with me, and my 5 year old daughter enjoys it as much, if not more, than my 10 year old son. Thankfully Ameristep makes large blinds we can all fit in and be hidden while turkey hunting. My son enjoys pheasant hunting with his father and grandfather a few times a year.

I'm in favor of the lower age limits, especially if with an adult, as I'm sure my son would love to start at 10 and my girls won't be far behind.

·
Registered
18,038 Posts
FYI Wisconsin AB 586 passed out of the Senate Natural Resources Committee on a 4-1 vote. The bill now moves to the full Senate for consideration.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts