Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
me and a few other guys are gonna be up on the south branch of the two hearted from june 6-10. just curious how much bug spray i'll need to bring, we usually go up at the end of june and the skeeters are really intense. just wondering if anyone fishes it in early june and how the bugs are so i know if we should camp where we want to or head somewhere else.....

·
Registered
8,597 Posts
It's likely that mosquitoes/black flies etc. will be bad everywhere in the UP at that time. May I suggest a "bug shirt?" They are extremely effective, as evidenced by more than a few Canadians wear them. I've been fishing in "clouds" of biting insects while wearing my bug shirt with nothing more than the annoyances of hearing them buzz and seeing them land at a safe distance from my skin. I got my first one as a Christmas present 3 years ago and bought another one at Hilltop Sporting Goods in Newberry. Good luck!

·
Registered
7,479 Posts
Are you talking about the mesh ones or the new ones that have sort of chemical in them?

·
Registered
33 Posts
The underside of my fore arms got chewed up pretty good at the Two-Hearted last week. That's only because I sprayed bug dope on the top side. Stupid mistake, but I didn't get bit wherever I had bug dope.

I should mention that I only resort to the mesh head net when I'm on the verge of bug insanity. I never got close last week.

Everyone's different. Bottom line is the bugs are gonna get you if you're not prepared.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
i'll definitely be prepared, even though the skeeters will be plentiful i know the brookies will be as well.....

·
Registered
583 Posts
I usually fish the two hearted in early June and the mosquitoes are absolutely horrible. I often have to fish with surgical gloves and keep covered, it's one of the few times I don't drink any beer because I don't want to have to drop my fly to relieve myself any more than absolutely necessary.

The only thing worse than bugs is that last year I timed it with the free fishing weekend. What a zoo that turned out to be, I never new you could fit so many kids, cousins and brothers into a F150...give me a break, can't a guy get away....:sad:

Either way it is a beautiful stretch of water...:) :) !!!

·
Registered
7,479 Posts
Ansel: Just think how it'll be when the license fees increase.

·
Registered
583 Posts
uptracker said:
Ansel: Just think how it'll be when the license fees increase.
Very Good Point. I'm not trying to change the subject but do they have a free "hunting weekend"? Just saying that my experience with solitude was not there and I know that some of the group I ran into was from out of state. Kind of like hiking into your favorite hunting spot and finding a picnic of bird watchers. It's hard to complain but at the same time VERY dissapointing.

·
Registered
1,387 Posts
I was fishing not too far from the two hearted last weekend and the mosquitos were kinda bad then. No black flies yet...one thing I would suggest is to check yourself up and down for ticks after coming out of the woods. I had 3 on me over the weekend and my dad had five or six. I even had one jump on me out of my gear bag after I got back home. They are thick!!

Good Luck Fishing!

·
Registered
867 Posts
Don't know about the Two Hearted specifically, but I was out yesterday for the first time in about a week. The black flies and later mosquitos were just awful. I think they are just starting to get bad right about now, probably across the Peninsula. I did try a mesh head net for the first time yesterday, and it definitely helped.

·
Registered
2,069 Posts
I heard that the Ticks are bad across the state this year.Make sure you check yourself and your dogs after being out in the woods.I NEVER go to the U.P. without bugdope.

·
Registered
867 Posts
tedshunter said:
I heard that the Ticks are bad across the state this year.Make sure you check yourself and your dogs after being out in the woods.
Yeah, and ideally check EVERYTHING... nothing like finding a tick crawling in the dirty clothes pile or on the interior of your vehicle from when you went fishing a week earlier.

·
Registered
11,452 Posts
It's a good routine to get in the shower as soon as you can, if possible, and do a before and after tick check in front of a full length mirror. It's nice if you can get them before the bury their heads in to you.
Pulling one (carefully) from your head, waist band area, arm pit, etc is bad enough. Reaching down to scratch ones self in the middle of the night, and discovering an odd bump on the ol' sack is not a good feeling...I should know. Standing there in the bathroom with a leg propped up pulling that tick from my scrotum was not a real fun experience. Sorry if too much info. Michiganders seem to get a bit overly concerned about them, not to say that one shouldn't be very careful. My sister-in-law once called me when she found one buried in her head that she picked up by the Pine River, and she was totally horrified.
But when I lived in Arkansas, where ticks and chiggars are thick, the locals dealt with them in a calm, matter-of-fact manner. Alot of people let chickens run around their yards to help out.

·
Registered
336 Posts
I would suggest a 55 gal. drum of the best bug dope available! I was on the stream a few weeks earlier and it wasn't bad but if the black flies/mosquitos in my yard are an indicator, they'll be thicker than thieves on the river/ stream! I was wearing bug repellent and the little buggers were nasty!! So, come prepared.
Itchintofish, I hear you about the tick-in-the-male-tender region! How they got there without being detected is amazing! Talk about stealth! My biggest fear up here is going to the outhouse and having a big 'ole wood spider tag the bag. OUUUUCH!!!!! My buddy and I were trout fishing one time and he had one on his arm. BIG BUGGER! It bit him and his arm swelled up and he got sick. A certain time of the year there are these big dark spiders that nest along streams and rivers up here and they are nasty. I don't know what species they are. No bull!! Just watch out! Good luck on your trip and be safe.
Whack

1 - 15 of 15 Posts