Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My son and I are heading up to the 2 hearted to do some camping and fishing. I have a couple of questions that I hope I am in the right forum top ask.
1. We will be in the National park/forest, so as long as we leave only footprints and memories can we camp just about anywhere?
2. Looking at the Coast Guard line road on google I can not tell if I could drive that with a Jeep Grand Cherokee, or is this a ORV only road.
3. We will be stopping in Newberry the night before is there a place where we can get a county road map?
I appreciate any information that I can get, at this point I am trying to determine possible camping areas that are remote but still accessible by my SUV. I have not been camping in quite a while and my son wants to test out some different ideas on setting up and maintaining our camp site. And if I can catch some fish so much the better.
Thanks in advance
Bellevuebill

·
Registered
115 Posts
I hope you have fun. I was up there in June. A good map to use is a Gazetteer from Delorme $20. Very
detailed. That said, you still cant tell what the road is like. Drove a Honda Civic from M-123 to rd 500 North
to 414 to 423 North to the mouth of the Two hearted. There is a campground there. On Lake Superior.
The roads were sandy but didn't have any troubles. Seemed like about 20 miles.Lots of ORVs Good luck
and have fun!!

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I hope you have fun. I was up there in June. A good map to use is a Gazetteer from Delorme $20. Very
detailed. That said, you still cant tell what the road is like. Drove a Honda Civic from M-123 to rd 500 North
to 414 to 423 North to the mouth of the Two hearted. There is a campground there. On Lake Superior.
The roads were sandy but didn't have any troubles. Seemed like about 20 miles.Lots of ORVs Good luck
and have fun!!
We are really looking forward to this adventure. I have not used my camping knowledge for many years and am curious if I can still do the things that I used to do. My son has never really been remote camping, and I am wondering if he will like it as much as he thinks he will ;):eek:.
This is really a test If we are successful we will go further into the deep woods, maybe even try the superior trail next year.
Thanks

·
Registered
306 Posts
Coast guard is a road they even grade it sometimes. In Newberry theres a big DNR office at m-28 and M123 right beside the big hotel. You could get a map there and where you can camp. Fire danger is high watch the campfires

·
Registered
16 Posts
My son and I are heading up to the 2 hearted to do some camping and fishing. I have a couple of questions that I hope I am in the right forum top ask.
1. We will be in the National park/forest, so as long as we leave only footprints and memories can we camp just about anywhere?
2. Looking at the Coast Guard line road on google I can not tell if I could drive that with a Jeep Grand Cherokee, or is this a ORV only road.
3. We will be stopping in Newberry the night before is there a place where we can get a county road map?
I appreciate any information that I can get, at this point I am trying to determine possible camping areas that are remote but still accessible by my SUV. I have not been camping in quite a while and my son wants to test out some different ideas on setting up and maintaining our camp site. And if I can catch some fish so much the better.
Thanks in advance
Bellevuebill

·
Registered
16 Posts
I think you need to be a certain distance from a state campground, to set up your camp. I want to say it one mile. Good luck I'm heading to the TH area for ten days this coming Friday hopefully the fish are on.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I think you need to be a certain distance from a state campground, to set up your camp. I want to say it one mile. Good luck I'm heading to the TH area for ten days this coming Friday hopefully the fish are on.
Ya gotta love these MS forums. Thanks for the replies. It looks like we are a go for the trip and looking forward to catching some of those fish. I will post what happens when we get back sometime in October.

·
Registered
668 Posts
I love fishing the Two Hearted this time of year. Unfortunately I won't make it up there this year. As for fishing get get some steelhead rods, some pyramid weights and some cured skein or egg sacks. Get to the mouth of the river and surf fish. Take a chair, bucket and some coffee and snacks. I will guarantee you some coho. As far as camping.....my buddy and I for bear hunting always stayed right on C.R. 500. Pretty much along that whole stretch is open for you to use. We parked on the side of the road and took our quads in on an over grown logging trail about a mile (we wanted to be far far away from everyone, and we were). With all that being said be mindful that it is bear season and bears are being pushed around. So take what ever precaution you feel is necessary. We had no problems at our camp. We even had our cooler in our camp. We did have fire power at the ready at all times. That is some of the best camping I have ever done though. Keep us updated and post a ton of pics. Also my good friends own Gene's Tahquamenon general store. If you get a minute stop in there and get some food and supplies. Sherri will give any and all the information she knows. If Gene is there and not hunting or fishing he is a wealth of knowledge too. He may even meet you at the mouth of the river and help you out.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts