Michigan-Sportsman.com banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
601 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK guys salmon season is right around the corner(i can feel it in my bones;) ) i want to ask this of everyone!

Is there a "ritual" that you just have to do the night before your first salmon trip?

For me i have to sit and tie some salmon flies and pop "a river runs through it" in the VCR then when i'm done i go out side and sit on the porch and smoke a corona cigar. I have seen the movie hundreds of times and dont really care for cigars all that much and usally have all the flies that i need well ahead of time. But at some point in my life i started doing this without even realizing it had become a "ritual". I just dont feel ready for the first salmon trip till i have done this.

Even though i'm not a hunter,the night before deer season would work also...

STEELDRIFTER:D

·
Registered
1,474 Posts
It's not really a tradition....That is to say, It's not really planned, but usually my first trip of the year (and every other trip of the year) we get up there Friday night. Just enough time to pitch camp before dark and plenty of time to get good and loaded, so as to look and feel our best come 4:00 when the alarm goes off. :rolleyes: A quick gallon of coffee in the morning, and hit the river well before light. First bend in the rod and you forgett all about the fact that your head is about to explode. There's no cure for a hangover quite like a freash salmon at the end of your line.:D

Al

·
Registered
316 Posts
When the oldest boy still lived at home we always watched the movie Jerrimah Johnson the nite before deer season a tradition that myself and the youngest boy will start this year..as far as salmon fishing ....I wake up at 4 am drive almost 10 hrs north.puts me in the UP by 2pm ......fish on by 3pm ...sitting on"my big rock" listening to the water..smoking a once a year cigar by 3:30 thinking ,DANG LIFE IS GOOD!!!!!!

·
Registered
2,099 Posts
I don't really have any tradition, but I have been taking my vacation during the last week of August for several years.

Its supposed to rain some this coming week, and a cold front moves in Wednesday..... but I don't care: I'm giddy with excitement and you can bet that starting Monday, come rain or shine I'll be trolling the St. Mary's every day.

I can't wait.......

·
Registered
723 Posts
This is what I do for all important things outdoors. get everything in a central spot when every thing is there, than start loading the truck,when truck is loaded go back over list make sure that we got everything. Just to find out that when we get there we forgot the most important things. ie. shells, life jackets, for my son LUNCH!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
8,597 Posts
Get out of work at 11pm....drive up north...set up camp...drink a few brews...think about going out at night...drink a few more brews...get ready to hit the river at night...drink a few more brews...go to sleep...wake up at 9am and hit the river and then have a blast til late the next night fighting Salmon til my arms hurt...Go back to camp...Hire a good loking female to rub my shoulders...drink a few more brews...crawl into bed with my newfound bedwarmer...OH wait you wanted a "Ritual" not a DREAM...:p

1 - 6 of 6 Posts