Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am not a turkey hunter (yet) but have a few questions about the birds I have seen during my deer hunting.
Two years ago in Oct. and Nov. I would see turkeys almost every time I hunted. In the evenings I would watch them roost in some big pines and see them leave in the mornings. On Thanksgiving morning I saw over 30 turkeys walking in a row.
This year while deer hunting saw a total of 4 turkeys for the whole year. Just wondering why.
It is a 60 acre parcel with no one else hunting on it. The only reason I could think of was a small bean field near the land was not planted this year. Just wondering if that would be the reason for the decline.
Also if the birds are there in the fall are they still in the same areas in the spring or do they move out? Just curious.

Tommyboy

·
Registered
5,812 Posts
Turkeys can sometime be found in the spring in the same areas they can be found in the fall, but not always.

Fewer birds in an area could be an indication of many things-a lack of food sources in the area, a lot of predators, a flock that has split up and spread into other areas, a couple of years of poor spring hatches, etc.

That's why you need to start scouting possible hunting areas as soon as you can, and as often as you can.

·
Registered
4,020 Posts
Turkeys will flock up near food sources in the fall and winter and they love soybeans. If there was a field planted with them nearby last year and not this year, that's a factor in why you are not seeing them now. They will dispears and range farther in the spring. If this is your turkey hunting spot, birds may be there as soon as winter breaks. A great way to scout is to just get out for the first hour of dawn till just after sunrise and sit and listen. If it is a calm warmer spring morning, you will hear any gobblers in the area gobbling. As the season gets closer, I try to get out every decent morning for an hour before work. It helps to pinpoint locations to set up on when hunting starts.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts