Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
4,720 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can any of you Turkey experts explain why the turkey numbers in the western UP are soaring. Big broods of 10-20 polts everywhere I drive. Back home our numbers shrink every year and the hens have hardly any polts. Very confusing considering length of winter and predator numbers.

·
Registered
4,792 Posts
I've seen more turkeys this year, including the large flocks of poults in my neighborhood that I've shared photos of on here many times, in Jackson County. Maybe they're hiding from you? I'm just being sarcastic. Maybe I'm just in the right area. I stopped this morning for a bachelor group of about 10 jakes.

Sent from my SM-S908U using Michigan Sportsman mobile app

·
Registered
20,392 Posts
Can any of you Turkey experts explain why the turkey numbers in the western UP are soaring. Big broods of 10-20 polts everywhere I drive. Back home our numbers shrink every year and the hens have hardly any polts. Very confusing considering length of winter and predator numbers.
Does the western UP have many raccoons ? I'm not putting all the blame on them, but they will eat every egg in a nest that they find.

L & O

·
Registered
5,852 Posts
There seems to be a lot of raccoons but I haven't seen many possums.
As someone who has plugged almost 30 racoons over this last summer our critter population in SE MI is out of hand. Almost nobody traps them anymore, and a lot of nature loving hippies actively encourage their growth by letting them graze at their bird feeders and whatnot. We have a neighbor a few houses down that leaves out feed year round for all the stray animals... ***** and possums included. Not uncommon to see a few ***** on their front stoop just hanging out.. IN THE MIDDLE OF THE DAY! So yeah if you are concerned with dropping turkey numbers in the LP I would point to a few obvious culprits... predation from other critters and also loss of habitat.

Reactions: MrFysch

·
Registered
708 Posts
There are a tone of koons on or near my property. The dog proof kune traps are gonna work some overtime this fall! I like the "Live " traps for cunes, but they tend to catch more unintended species, and the kuehns s*** all over the traps! Makes a mess to clean up.

·
Crazed Country Rebel
2,441 Posts
I don't know the answer and definitely not a turkey expert but agree with your observations at least in my stomping grounds of southern Marquette County and up in The Copper Country. Turkeys in The Keweenaw! Who would have imagined that a few years ago?

Maybe the wolves and big cats are eating all of the racoons lol

·
Registered
13,389 Posts
IMO turkeys are cyclical.... The peaks and valleys are the variables that determine how high or how low they go

Here's a newer organization to check out.... Unlike the NWTF their doing studies to actually learn more about nesting in relationship to habitat

There garnering a big following in the turkey world as more people leave the NWTF

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
IMO turkeys are cyclical.... The peaks and valleys are the variables that determine how high or how low they go

Here's a newer organization to check out.... Unlike the NWTF their doing studies to actually learn more about nesting in relationship to habitat

There garnering a big following in the turkey world as more people leave the NWTF

I agree

·
Premium Member
10,204 Posts
As someone who has plugged almost 30 racoons over this last summer our critter population in SE MI is out of hand. Almost nobody traps them anymore, and a lot of nature loving hippies actively encourage their growth by letting them graze at their bird feeders and whatnot. We have a neighbor a few houses down that leaves out feed year round for all the stray animals... * and possums included. Not uncommon to see a few * on their front stoop just hanging out.. IN THE MIDDLE OF THE DAY! So yeah if you are concerned with dropping turkey numbers in the LP I would point to a few obvious culprits... predation from other critters and also loss of habitat.
They certainly are out of control and have been for many years .It’s not just turkeys but reptiles and any bird that nest on the ground .Time for our DNR to step up and find a solution be it a bounty or subsidizing raccoon fur prices . Too many species are at record lows now and some day we will be spending millions like we did with the Kirkland warbler to save some of the wildlife .

·
Registered
5,254 Posts
As someone who has plugged almost 30 racoons over this last summer our critter population in SE MI is out of hand. Almost nobody traps them anymore, and a lot of nature loving hippies actively encourage their growth by letting them graze at their bird feeders and whatnot. We have a neighbor a few houses down that leaves out feed year round for all the stray animals... * and possums included. Not uncommon to see a few * on their front stoop just hanging out.. IN THE MIDDLE OF THE DAY! So yeah if you are concerned with dropping turkey numbers in the LP I would point to a few obvious culprits... predation from other critters and also loss of habitat.
Yep if there wasn’t for raccoons and possums we never have to worry about turkey population.I think the reason I’ve seen lot more turkeys and more plots this year than ever is for some reason **** population has been way down in my area I got cameras out all year and last couple years not many pics use to get so many sometimes up to 20 by wild apple and paar trees

·
Premium Member
5,915 Posts

I think maybe you are correct. They are seeing significant declines in world class habitat as well. That’s very hard to explain.

Reactions: DEDGOOSE
1 - 18 of 18 Posts