Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What is your favorite load? Last year I took a jake with 3" Remington heavy shot #4's. I was very impresed, Knocked him flat at 60 yards.:D

·
Registered
484 Posts
What kind of a pattern are you getting at 60 yards? Heavy shot or not Thats a long long shot. I dont even know anybody who patterns beyond 40 yards because they tend to open up rather fast after 45. Heavy shot retains energy really well but I bet your pattern is very thin at that distance.

·
Registered
3,674 Posts
My son and I use Winchester Supreme 3" Double X Mag. (2oz - #5).
I just put TruGlo fiber optic sights on my SG and I'll be heading to the range to sight it in real soon. My son used the same ammo last year to take his first turkey in my uncles 1100. (35 yard shot from a blind.)
I thought that 3" 2oz shell would put a hurtin' on his shoulder. I asked afterwards and he said he was so excited that he didn't even feel it.

·
Registered
2,652 Posts
This year it's going to be a goldtip xt, not sure on the broadhead yet. Powered by a Bowtech patriot dually! With the shotgun I usually use Winchester Supreme 3 in. double loads #5

·
Premium Member
10,804 Posts
60 & 65 yard kills? Did you guys measure those shots using your wife's "ruler"? :D

I shoot a Remington SP10, extra full turkey choke and use 4" Winchester Super X Copper Plated Turkey Loads in #5 and the farthest I've tried to pattern it was 55 yards and the pattern was very, very weak to consider shooting for real. I gotta tell you if you killed a bird 10 to 15 yards further than that with anything less than I'm shootin it was killed by the "Golden" BB that won the lottery! I've "waxed" 'em at 40-45 yards with the big 10 no problem but I'd like to get them at 30-35 yards or closer.

Sorry guy's I'm not try'in to start anything or say anyones lyin, maybe "stretching" the truth a little. Are you the same guys that I see shooting at ducks out at 75 yards? :eek:

·
Registered
66 Posts
Try handloading it might help you.
The shot was on my own property and it was paced off.Nice try though. I had a pattern board set up in the backyard. All of my patterning was done at 45 yards measured. The best I ever did with the 2.5oz of #4(lead) was 98% average 94-95%. The factory turkey tube averaged the low 80% range.

4" Winchester Super X Copper Plated Turkey Loads in #5
When did they start making a 4 inch shell?? I thought they only made a 3.5 inch hull.

·
Premium Member
10,804 Posts
Originally posted by Bailey
Try handloading it might help you................
.....When did they start making a 4 inch shell?? I thought they only made a 3.5 inch hull.
Sorry, your correct, my mistake. That 10 gauge shell just really overshadows my 2.75 12 gauge shells!

Handloading? If it give that kind of results I'll have to look into it!

Again, I was just "funnin" with you guys about those long shots, I know they can happen every once in awhile. I just hate to see any animal crippled because someone couldnt wait.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I've patterned my gun out to 60 yards and was happy with the results. I would'nt take the shot if the kill was not possible!

Sky busting for ducks? I only shoot to a distance where I can effectivly kill. Depends on gun, load and type of waterfowl.

·
Registered
890 Posts
I shoot Federal 3" 20z #5 4dr eq, not sure of the sped as the box does not have it listed.
My sons shoot 20 ga Rem 1 1/4 oz #6 also no speed listed.

Between the three of us we have never shot a turket at more than 15 yards so I cannot say now these loads perform at more than 35 yards as that is what we pattern them at.

We all use low power scopes on our shotguns as I have found it tough to focus with my glasses on the sights and turkey at the same time, plus it forces us to keep down on the gun.

Maybe I am fortunate as all of our birds have come in the first season and therefore they were unpressured and came in close, but I'd rather have it that way tahn any other, especially for two youngsters. Neither of my sons hunted more than three hours to get their first bird, I however took six seasons to get mine.

All of our birds have come from public land, never even hunted private for turkeys. Have spent alot of time scouting though and I believe it is well worth the effort to see the look on their faces when they have their birds down.

·
Registered
528 Posts
Heavy shot works the best with my setup! We have tested about every shot by brand and size and Heavy shot came out on top. I have no problem with 50 yard shots, but prefer 40 or less.

·
Registered
61 Posts
I use a home made 1 7/8 oz of copper clad #6 shot cartridge in my half stock flintlock with a 2 dram equivalent of 2F. Copper clad tightens up my patterns significantly. Got great patterns out to 35 yards. Haven't patterned it farther as it is the maximun shot where I curently hunt. Only been out turkey hunting twice, but dropped my first first turkey in it's tracks last year. I'm not sure who was more excited as my brother-in-law was callin for me and not only beat me to the bird, but kept hollerin "holy s%3%t I don't believe it".
Legris

1 - 14 of 14 Posts