Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

Would you rather turkey hunt with a bow and arrow or a gun?

• Bow and Arrow

Votes: 12 63.2%
  • Gun

Votes: 5 26.3%
  • Neither

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Are you a hardcore hunter and use throwing knives

Votes: 2 10.5%
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,892 Posts
I am going to try and use my bow this year. I hunted with it last year until I took my wife out to try to get a double so I ended up using my shootgun. With a 7 day turkey season and no time off of work it may be hard to get the job done with the bow and arrow but I will try!:)

·
Registered
664 Posts
I will be using a bow again this year. I took a nice tom a few years ago with a shotgun that my grandpa hunted with. Now its going to be with my bow only:) I have hunted the last two years with a bow but due to limited time to hunt I havent gotten one in close enough for a shot.

·
Registered
420 Posts
I had three days to hunt in southern Indiana, so I used a muzzle loading shotgun. Of course, while calling a tom across a wooded valley--he was cutting my calls off, double and triple gobbling, and about to break out into the woods where I could see him--I had one come in quiet, strutting around the end of a large old log toward my decoys. When I dropped the hammer, and the smoke cleared, it was lying well within bow distance!! It was a two year old bird: 20 1/2#, 10 3/8" beard, and 22 mm spurs. I could have used my bow! Oh well...

God bless, Arch

·
Registered
1,892 Posts
Ok I'm not making any excuses or anything but the next two days are high wind adviseries 30-40mph and its supposed to rain Friday, Saturday, and Sunday so I may take my gun since my pop up will be impossible to put up and take down in the wind and rain. Still undecided but these 7 day hunts stink cause the weather can totally ruin a season! :(

·
Registered
1,892 Posts
Last night my wife (Elaine) killed her 1st turkey with her 20 gauge. It was a jake 17lbs. with a 3" beard and she is on cloud 9! :D I used her 20 gauge this morning and killed a Tom, 22lbs. with a 9" beard. I really have a "TON" of respect for you folks that have the dedication to stick with it with the stick and string. No excuses on my part just lack of confidence and not the right set up. :yeahthat:

·
Registered
3,082 Posts
Congrats on the birds!
Well I am back from a few days Bow hunting Kansas turkeys. What a great hunt. I must of used all my luck up last year, and this year it was Darryl's turn. I had groups of gobblers come in 5 times, with a total of 15 birds under 20 yards. I had a gobbler in full strut, standing broadside for 5 minutes at 15 yards. There was a milo stalk, in front of his kill zone. When he finally turned to walk away, I only hit tail feathers. One afternoon at 5:30 I had two long beards gobble all the way in. They were zig zagging around the brush, and came in away from my shooting window. Then one walked within a foot of my blind, and he had his head in my shooting window! Then he turned to walk away. I was trying to decide how to open another window, with him so close. Then I heard him walking back and forth along my blind. This went on for a bit. Finally I opened a window, and seen a doe stariing at my blind! I looked back 70 yards, just in time to see him walk by Darryl, and watch him shoot!

We would hunt till 11:00, get lunch and go back out. Between 4:00 and 6:30 was just as good as the morning. I never seen anything like it. They would come in, gobble, and were just as active as the morning hunts. Darryl filled both tags. We are already planning next year's hunt.

Without a question, the 2 1/2" diameter Simmons Landsharks with bleeders, are the best fixed blade turkey head. The large cut is so important. They are very strong, knife cut heads, that fly like darts. Sunday at 5:00, I watched Darryl put a perfect hit on a 3 year old Gobbler. He took out the wing bone, and passed all the way through. We jumped out to get the bird, and he ran 100 yards, before stopping! They are so tough...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts