Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If this thread better belongs in the Out Of State section please move. Figured as the main topic was turkey hunting it would be better suited here and hopefully more replies.

Anyway, I just started looking last night at putting together a last minute turkey hunt in OH this year. I've been itching to get out and back hunting, and want a way to extend this spring season.

My question is, for any that have hunted OH for turkey's, what experiences have you had on public lands out there? Is it worth the $150+ in tags plus traveling?

I see they allow two birds in the spring, this makes me think that their turkey population is very healthy. I plan on making it a weekend trip, driving down Friday night and truck camping, hunting all day Saturday and then Sunday morning into the afternoon and coming home that evening. I appreciate any insight or recommendations anyone may have.

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,309 Posts
I've hunted Ohio going on 10 years both Spring and Fall seasons, and while it has all been on Private land we are very close to Public land as well. My buddies property is in SE Ohio, and the past few years have been on the downside for population of birds but this year is looking fantastic. Properties that had only a few Gobblers the past few years are now looking at double the number of birds.

In my opinion, it is well worth the $, but like anything it depends on what area you are looking at.

The only downside to your plan that I see is the time of week you are going. During the week is a completely dead zone around us, but the weekends pick up quite a bit in regards to traffic and hunters due to everyone's work schedules. But you can't kill em unless you are out there.

Good luck if you make the trek!

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I've hunted Ohio going on 10 years both Spring and Fall seasons, and while it has all been on Private land we are very close to Public land as well. My buddies property is in SE Ohio, and the past few years have been on the downside for population of birds but this year is looking fantastic. Properties that had only a few Gobblers the past few years are now looking at double the number of birds.

In my opinion, it is well worth the $, but like anything it depends on what area you are looking at.

The only downside to your plan that I see is the time of week you are going. During the week is a completely dead zone around us, but the weekends pick up quite a bit in regards to traffic and hunters due to everyone's work schedules. But you can't kill em unless you are out there.

Good luck if you make the trek!
Thanks for the information. Glad to hear things are looking up this year for the population.

I was thinking of staying in the NE area of the state, to minimize drive time. I’ve read that further south is better though. I’d love to be able to take off during the week, I figured the weekends would be the busiest, I’m just unable to use any vacation time for this hunt. Maybe in the future I can plan ahead and allocate some vacation days for it.

·
Premium Member
1,355 Posts
I understand if you got the bug and have to go but a two day trip on a weekend will be pressured.I have hunted the woodbury game area outside of Zanesville.Ohio keeps track of yearly harvest by county so a little research will point you to an area.There is a lot of reclaimed mining areas that are productive but they will be a drive.If your only going for two days and that is it I would say save your money.If you are planning for the future and going to go again or putting the pieces together for future hunts go for it.You can hunt til noon only the first week .Also that license is your deer license so you can hunt deer for the cost of a tag.Good Luck.

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I understand if you got the bug and have to go but a two day trip on a weekend will be pressured.I have hunted the woodbury game area outside of Zanesville.Ohio keeps track of yearly harvest by county so a little research will point you to an area.There is a lot of reclaimed mining areas that are productive but they will be a drive.If your only going for two days and that is it I would say save your money.If you are planning for the future and going to go again or putting the pieces together for future hunts go for it.You can hunt til noon only the first week .Also that license is your deer license so you can hunt deer for the cost of a tag.Good Luck.
Yeah, this is all last minute and really just looking to create more hunting opportunities lol. I saw that a deer permit could be had for $24 and I wouldn’t hesitate going back for a deer.

I plan on calling the OH DNR, but does anyone know if they sell unlimited numbers of turkey permits? I didn’t see any mention of a draw system or cap on permit sales.

ETA: I saw the time limit of hunting until noon during the first week. I planned on holding off until the late season, first to make sure I fill my tag here at home, and hoping it might be a little less pressured.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.