Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
787 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wanted to post this in another forum but due to little activity I put it here. Looking for some ideas to keep turkeys on my property. The back corner of my property (1.5 acres probably) is on the edge of a pretty big woods with some hickorys and oaks on my side. I'm thinking about clearing it out since I always have seen them on the neighboring property in the wide open woods. I have a tough time having them come to the edge (my property) so to speak. Passed a big tom the past 2 seasons that was only 5 yards over the line. Thanks in advance

Reactions: Krekelly

· Registered
864 Posts
You may want to keep those trees for roosting. I don`t hunt the big birds but have noticed they like to browse the rye and clover. Corn left over Winter seems to be a draw in Spring and they like openings in the woods. How much ground are we talking about here and how is it laid out?

· Registered
787 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
You may want to keep those trees for roosting. I don`t hunt the big birds but have noticed they like to browse the rye and clover. Corn left over Winter seems to be a draw in Spring and they like openings in the woods. How much ground are we talking about here and how is it laid out?
Not working with a lot here. Just this point of woods circled in yellow here. The red is where I've had them walk last year. Did some hinge cutting for deer but the deer haven't been using the area due to hunter pressure from the west. So my thought is cut up everything to restore it to open hardwoods for the turkeys. They do make a loop around the swamp pictured and do use my food plot to the east thats not pictured sporadically. Most of the time they are walking around the woods to my west so I try to target them in that area. Just have trouble pulling them into that point. Figure if the deer aren't using it I may as well utilize it for turkeys.

· Registered
864 Posts
From what I know about hunting turkey you want to get close to where they roost so you have the first crack at them. Aby idea of where they roost?

My observation is that they like to roost close to their food source and they have preferred spots for camping out at night. On my place they like the mature hardwoods just below my house. If disturbed at night them will move from tree to tree making quite the racket startling whoever went out.

Check out the Wild Turkey Federation website to see if they have any ideas that could help out.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.