Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
5,854 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, there have been quite a few stories on M-S regarding Thunderhead's prowess as a turkey guide and caller. We'll add to that list.........

My son Craig (who goes by CW henceforth) was a turkey virgin until our hunt with Tom last Saturday. He's been real busy with a young family and building a business as an office manager for a top NYSE firm. He gets one day a year to hunt turkeys, if we're lucky. After striking out a couple times here in No MI, we booked a weekend hunt down in Iowa on the Missouri border in an area that was crawling with birds. Long story short, there were 52 tornados that hit that region that weekend. And constant lightning storms. Out of three days, we hunted 2 hours one afternoon before the wind, lightning and sideways rain started up again. Went home wet- and skunked.:rant:

It was time to call in "professional help".;) So we booked a hunt with TH for Craig for last weekend.

Just like any good "Turkey Camp", Tom and Lori had a nice fire going when we arrived. After some small talk, TH asked CW THE question: "So, CW , what kind of bird are 'ya looking for". CW answered, "the first legal gobbler within good range".. Tom said, "Good Answer".

Wakeup was at "0 Dark 30". After a short drive, we snuck into a big woods where Tom had a popup blind located, sans flashlights. Tom had said there might well be gobblers roosted "close by". We hadnt yet got setup when the gobbling started. There were at least 10 gobblers real close by, like within 50-100 yards. And others farther away in that same woods. The thunderous gobbling continued right up till flydown time. Tom had stroked a few clucks just to let them know "we're here". What happened next was quite extraordinary. The biggest "street fight" I ever heard or saw in the turkey woods erupted not 50 yards from our blind. It seemed to go on forever, with several longbeards giving some jakes a hard lesson re the pecking order around there. The fighting purrs were coming proud and loud. At this point, Tom whispered that this just might blow up our plan. Then everything went silent.

But soon a gobbler came slinking silently into view about 50 yds away thru the woods. He stopped and stood stock still for 5 minutes until Tom could sweet talk him into coming closer. At 35 yds, Tom gave the GO sign and CW flattened him- went down like a sack of hammers. It was 6;40 A.M. CW shoots a Mossburg 835 with stock Mossburg turkey choke tube and WIN Supreme HV Turkey loads #5s (Black shell) BTW, that shell works well in my old BPS and many other turkey guns I've tried. CW was a turkey virgin no more.

Vital stats: CW's gobbler was a jake, a nice one. 18.5 #, 5" thick and wiry beard. Had corn kernels, green stuff and grit in his gizzard. That jake had been beaten up by the older, bigger toms and wasnt about to gobble but couldnt resist the sweet dulcet notes coming from TH's slate. TH knows turkeys.:D

Final word, we all had been joking around the campfire about "Killing a gobbler and going into the resturant for breakfast before 8 AM" . It was 7:57 when we walked into that resturant.:lol:

Here are a few pics:

Your Reporter,
Natty B.

·
Registered
5,812 Posts
Congrats to your son, Natty.

I have a son in much the same position, whatever time he gets is golden. Now he is hooked for life, good deal. No matter how busy he gets, he will always find some time to get out in the woods.

·
Super Moderator
11,080 Posts
Congrats to all parties involved!!!!!

·
Premium Member
8,698 Posts
Nice bird and a great time!! I should hang out with that Tom guy some spring!!;):D

Nice job TH congrats to all!!

-Bob:)

·
Super Moderator
11,798 Posts
Howdy-

When Tom goes out, there's nary a doubt! ;)

·
cold, dead hands ......
6,198 Posts
..... and I gotta agree with EVERYTHING. It was the most awesome day hunting in my life! Not to hijack the thread .... congrats to you guys. TH is a bit scary at first, but you warm up to him quick! (ha ha j/k TH:) )

I'll post pics of our hunt with TH tomorrow.

·
Registered
5,854 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks to all for the nice comments on CW's hunt last weekend.

It seems that everybody had a really good time because we plan on doing it again.:D

Natty B.

·
Registered
4,478 Posts
The 835 with woodlands camo. . .a great turkey gun I must say!!:)

Congrats on a great hunt.

·
Registered
4,262 Posts
Nice job, Guys!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts