Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I use them from time to time

Votes: 2 9.5%
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
936 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do you really need them?? I don't think so, but I do have a couple just in case. Just wondering what your opinion is.

·
Registered
936 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I forgot to mention that where I hunt, turkeys are everywhere, we see them all the time. Some just aren't close enough too shoot. But they're are alot of them.

·
Registered
2,989 Posts
Go inexpensively to start, just try a push button and don't overdo it, you will be amazed at what just a little calling will do for you, especially if you use decoys.

Where in lower Michigan are you--you may be able to get somebody with a little experience to show you or make it to a seminar.

·
Registered
936 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
ive never had a gobbler come to my calls..except one day when i saw some on the side of the road. i used my mouth, and they answered back and came towards me. it was odd!

·
Registered
2,989 Posts
A few years ago my son had similar luck just using his mouth for yelps.

He was supposed to be calling for a guy from downstate and after little sleep (attempt at smelt dipping) the night before, they got out there and he discovered he had left the calls at home.

He got two toms to come and the gunner got his first bird, a booker!

·
Registered
936 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
lol. that must've made him happy. Thats a few less objects in your vest. ; )

·
Registered
936 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
if i get a turkey early in the weekend then maybe I'll horse around and try to call one in with my mouth. Or a McDonalds straw

·
Registered
13,901 Posts
I agree with what some have already said....calling them in is what makes it interesting. If you just want a bird (and I'm not saying there's anything wrong with that) just run around and ambush one. I've done that once or twice in the early years when I've been completely frustrated by them. But to have them respond to the call and come in is really exciting. I once had a Tom respond a long way off, then come running from at least 1/2 mile across a hay field right to my decoys. Quite a sight. I've also had them respond to the call, come in, but hang up just outside of shotgun range. But that's what makes it fun.

If you've never had one come to the call, you just need to keep trying. So many variables like weather, timing in the mating cycle, etc. can make them react differently from day to day. Sometimes one day can make a world of difference. So just keep at it. I promise you once you do get one to come to the call, you'll know what we mean.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Are calls absolutly necessary. Most of the time I would say no. Some of the time yes. I will say that it does make it a whole lot more fun for me. As I posted on another topic thread. It is the interaction the the birds that makes turkey hunting enjoyable for me.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts