Michigan-Sportsman.com banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking for a good turkey call (or two). What brands are recommended? Also any tips or tricks you have found to work well would be appreciated.

·
Registered
8,513 Posts
I'm a Pro Staffer for Rod Benson game calls and have used'em even before I worked for him. In my opinion, I haven't heard one yet that can beat the quality of his calls. This is all this man does, build and perfect game calls and calling techniques. He's also called and guided professionally for the last 25 years in 32 different states.

The Snappin Crackin Combo slate call is the best seller we have.
Couple that with a kee kee diaphram or a Double tone notch box and you'll have a deadly combination.

A good stratagy is to bust a flock then call'em back with a kee kee call. I've found this to be the best bet for fall turkey huntin.
Good Luck !!

PM me if you have any more questions........

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
I'm not a pro staffer for anyone.

I like shortcuts because I'm not one of the sportsmen who has the opportunity to be in the woods practicing a lot.

My favorite, (now only) turkey call is the Knight and Hale Lonesome hen. I can't use a diaphram, and my slate calls don't seem to have any effect. (probably used badly) but the Lonesome Hen, has produced gobbles every spring since I got it. I can call them right in to the point where I do something else to scare them off. With the slate and other attempts, the calls themselves scare them away before I get a chance to.
;) :p :D

·
Registered
7,316 Posts
I really like the slate/glass call that Away outdoors puts out. It sounds great and is versatile.

Also I like the Red Rooster from Blodgett calls. THat is a GREAT Old Raspy hen call.

·
Registered
823 Posts
I carry 3 basic calls:

Box call of which I have two: Ben Lee - twin hen; Mad - cherry bomb

Glass call; HS Strutt triple glass and 4 or 5 different strikers

Mouth call or diagphram - my avorite is HS Strutt Gold Prem double.

On all of these I think the manufacturer is probably irrelevant until you find what you like.

A double sided box provides two different tones or pitches with the same call. Carrying multiple strikers provides multiple pitches and tones with the glass (slate and aluminum would be the same). The mouth call I use because after 15 years of using multiple brands and reed numbers I have settled on the fact that this one gives me the most versatility to make multiple types of calls loud and soft. With a mouth call you might have to experiment until you find one that fits your mouth.

·
Registered
70 Posts
I agree with Steve I have used the A-Way calls. They are very easay for the new caller. And are very reasonably priced and I think they are a sponser of the site.

·
Registered
8,513 Posts
Oh yeah, one thing to remember, your not hunting spring birds here, so your tactics are going to be a bit different. Calls that brought'em in the spring, won't necessarily work in the fall.........

1 - 8 of 8 Posts