Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Administrator
27,216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
No perchies today. Started down by the GPYC. Tried a few spots around there, Art vans, ford home, couple of more spots moving back to Crocker. Word on the radio was everyone was looking for perch. Water was dirty for the most part. Moved up to the MC. Had lot clearer water but still no perch. Decided not to waste anymore time although it was down right gorgeous out there.

Now for the turf. Got a 4 point deer today.

Story: I walked out early this morning to retrieve the paper (6:30 am)and there it was. Dead on the side of the road.

My son said someone hit it last nite when he arrived home at 11pm.

Well its mine now. Guess the person that hit it didn't want it. Called the county sheriff when I got home for a kill tag. Only thing it died from was broken ribs that punctured the lungs. Just like it was shot with a bow. Nothing else was broke or damaged. Good size deer too. I'm guessing 130-150 dressed weight. Will know tomorrow.

Funny thing is I haven't seen a deer close by in 10-12 years around my house. Had to have come from the golf course 1/2 mile north. I live on a main road with subs all around.

·
Registered
381 Posts
Saw a guy hit a really tall 6pt last Thursday on 94 near 23 mile, guy just kept going. Just an FYI to everyone that a deer collision falls under your comprehensive deductible, which is usually much lower than your collision deductible!

·
Registered
767 Posts
Saw a guy hit a really tall 6pt last Thursday on 94 near 23 mile, guy just kept going. Just an FYI to everyone that a deer collision falls under your comprehensive deductible, which is usually much lower than your collision deductible!
And they taste better too!

·
Administrator
27,216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Dressed weight is 148 lbs. On the hoof est. 180-185lbs. No wonder that was so hard to drag 100 ft.:yikes:

·
Registered
196 Posts
Dressed weight is 148 lbs. On the hoof est. 180-185lbs. No wonder that was so hard to drag 100 ft.:yikes:
That venison sure makes up for getting skunked on the perch. I was supposed to go out today with a buddy but had to cancel. Sounds like I did not miss much out on the pond!

·
Premium Member
850 Posts
Wow, that is pretty cool Mike !!! You have some nice suppers ahead of you !!! It just blows my mind that so many people hit deer and don't realize that they are leaving behind wonderful "eats" :corkysm55 .... Meanwhile, sorry to hear the perch hunt wasn't too hot yesterday, but it's not over till it's over.... :fish:
Laura

·
Administrator
27,216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Drag?? I bet you thought nobody was watchin', didn't ya?

I came in the house huffing and puffing and the wife had a fit. Thought I was having a heart attack. Told her that was my cardio for the day.:lol:
Dragged it from the road to a shady spot to keep the sun off until I got back from fishing (or in this case, boating). Glad I didn't need to drag it out of the woods somewhere (without help).

·
Registered
4,178 Posts
I've seen deer in that field by the church as well as the southwest corner of that 4 way stop by you!!!

·
Administrator
27,216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I've seen deer in that field by the church as well as the southwest corner of that 4 way stop by you!!!
Yeah, sometimes the deer come from the woods behind the church to visit the beans or corn in that field. Usually not crossing Campground tho. I have seen some cross there and being hit there.Probably some in the golf course too. Those need to cross the course then thru a sub to reach my house and road.

I got a few apple trees which never had a visit. Not impossible for them to be close to my house, just very unusual.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts