Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
978 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
[/IMG]I know this is the Saginaw Bay thread, but I also know a lot of you go to Erie and fish so here it goes.
Drove to Ohio and ran the boat to Canada and fished the Peele Island area.
We fished crawlers with 1 and 2 oz inline weight and 1, 3 oz bottom bouncer off the corner. Our 1 oz's were 30 and 35 back, 2 oz was 40 and 50 back, bottom bouncer, on the bottom.
# passes put 18 keeper wall eye in the boat with 1 throw back.
Waves 5 to 7 ft.

·
Registered
978 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
[/IMG]

·
Registered
978 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
[/IMG]

·
Registered
978 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
These fish were bled out on the ride back, thus the pale colors..

·
Premium Member
29,953 Posts
Great job Mark!:) Bleeding them if you can is definitely the way to do it. Nice white fillets and no mess when cleaning. Taste as good as the smaller ones if you get all the dark out. Great chowder fish, and I see some big ole lake Erie scallops on the side of those heads:SHOCKED::D

·
Registered
2,746 Posts
Nice! Pelee is a long run in rough water conditions. But a great place to fish this time of year. I stopped fishing there when the U.S. Border patrol started there stuff back in 08.

·
Premium Member
29,953 Posts
Not to hijack your thread but I also to went to Erie last Friday and Saturday and 5 of us took 500 perch
OMG!!:SHOCKED: My bottom jaw just hit the key board and I'm drooling all over myself:lol: Those look awesome! Some day I'll have to find a ride down there to look for those beauties, never fished Erie for perch:) Excellent job! How deep of water you fish this time of year, and what port is best to go out of?

·
Premium Member
6,680 Posts
OMG!!:SHOCKED: My bottom jaw just hit the key board and I'm drooling all over myself:lol: Those look awesome! Some day I'll have to find a ride down there to look for those beauties, never fished Erie for perch:) Excellent job! How deep of water you fish this time of year, and what port is best to go out of?
Hey Ralph look up Big Daves perch charters outta long point Ontario, he smashes big perch all summer. It's a hike though it's a little ways past pelee, pretty much north of Erie Pa I believe

·
Registered
978 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Nice Perch..

·
Registered
978 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
That they did, no tattle flag needed!!

·
Registered
1,852 Posts
Hey Ralph look up Big Daves perch charters outta long point Ontario, he smashes big perch all summer. It's a hike though it's a little ways past pelee, pretty much north of Erie Pa I believe
Have you ever been fishing with Big Dave? I wondered if that was a place where I could get the wife into some big perch on a charter and then try to replicate the success in my own boat.

·
Registered
634 Posts
Have you ever been fishing with Big Dave? I wondered if that was a place where I could get the wife into some big perch on a charter and then try to replicate the success in my own boat.
That was who we went out with. It's definitely something to experience. The first day we caught a 6 man limit in just over 2 hours, the 2nd day wasn't as hot but still pulled a 5 man limit in 4 hours. Are average size perch had to be around 11 inches, never kept any under 9 inches

·
Premium Member
6,680 Posts
I still haven't made the trip yet but have a few friends that have and always have a outstanding trip with lots of jumbos. From what I hear it maybe tough doing it on your own at least in that area where big Dave fishes. There isn't a boat launch anywhere close to where he charters out of so he uses a tractor and launches his boat off the beach. I do know there are a few areas a little on our side of long point that good also in colchester/Lemington and the heli pad area. Those are all areas where you are a little closer to a launch site. Another area that gets overlooked to is Cleveland I usually do a cpl trips there a year when I can and the perch fishing there is awesome! We don't hear to much about it in our area but it's top notch to, cool pulling in jumbos with downtown Cleveland in the back ground. Daves is really worth looking into from all I've heard. Good luck

1 - 20 of 20 Posts