Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We just started fishing St Clair for smallies and have been having a blast. I had a few questions regarding tubs and tub jigs.
1. Dark green seems to be the color of choice for the tubs. Any second choice for color?
2. 1/0, 2/0 or 3/0 hooks?
3. Does it make a difference if the eye is 90 of 60 degrees?
Thanks.

·
Registered
179 Posts
im sure alot of guys will agree or disagree when it comes to that second colour they throw....really varies on the water stain. Last year my second colour for smallies was almost always a yellow or orange in dirtier water and a blue or purple with red flake for clearer days. Theres sooo many colours out there and soo many brands its hard to keep track of all the different shades and flakes available. As for the hook i dont think it really matters personally, as long as its hidden in the tubes and has enough hook to set in the fish. If you start missing alot of fish on the set id move to a bigger hook, again depends how big the tube or soft plastic your throwing.

·
Registered
819 Posts
Yea the eye will make a difference, the 60 will cut through weeds a little easier. That's what I throw 90% of the time

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

·
Registered
880 Posts
Like bowhunter19 said go with the 60s. I have had better results with the "fat heads" rather than the straight sided ones. I think it gives them better action on the drop.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts