Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
21 - 26 of 26 Posts

·
Premium Member
13,533 Posts
Because it is over priced. Just go to the elevator and buy what you need
Oh sure, Steve, I understand the cost thingy.
But I'm stating that WI's Imperial Clover product turned out --to my surprise -- to be really attractive to the local herd.
I have used Alice and Jumbo Ladino and Medium Red as my go-to clover components for nearly 20yrs. Bought from Cedar Springs or Welters. I've been quite satisfied. The deer seemed to feed on it regularly.

But ---and I examined it again this morning --- that patch of WI's clover clearly has a lot of grazing going on. A lot. There were more nipped straight stalks showing than in any other of my clover patches. That intrigues me.

So, when the need arises in the future for a new clover planting, well, I may be willing to pay their $9 per lb ticket to give it a bigger footprint. (vs. $5 for Alice or JLadino)

In the economics of it....for, say a half acre I'm only upcharging my total cost by what....$20 at most? I can afford that for a more extensive test-drive.

I may do a side-by-side comparison as I have done in the past....which way back when led me to choose the Alice.

Just sayin'.

·
Registered
1,313 Posts
Never had great luck with old seed.
basically the germination equals the age and is reflected at the discounted price.. after many years of stocking up on seed that is on clearance I just focus on new fresh seed. I buy the exact blends / and manufacturers I prefer that have proven to grow and work for me. It’s a long season and big gamble that is hard to recover from when plots don’t grow with the best fresh seeds let alone out of date seed. Just my .02

·
Registered
3,552 Posts
Never had great luck with old seed.
basically the germination equals the age and is reflected at the discounted price.. after many years of stocking up on seed that is on clearance I just focus on new fresh seed. I buy the exact blends / and manufacturers I prefer that have proven to grow and work for me. It’s a long season and big gamble that is hard to recover from when plots don’t grow with the best fresh seeds let alone out of date seed. Just my .02
Gonna frost seed mine, I'll keep the thread updated. Should be interesting. A failed frost seed will be turned into a fall food plot

21 - 26 of 26 Posts