Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

· Registered
2,349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm a label reader on any BOaB product. What started me down the food plot path for personal usage wasn't even deer hunting. I was trying to find Chicory seed for a pollinator garden.

On the freshness/germination aspect-
Most are good for a long time if you store the seed properly. I've got a couple relatives that I've bought the clearance seed as Christmas gifts that have created some really nice plots.

I have had two duds.

Tecomate Chicory did absolutely nothing. Tried everything to get it to germinate. No dice. Huge bummer because I really wanted it for the flowers. Judge me as much as you like lol.

The Family Farm and Home (40 minutes away) bulk bin buckwheat had awful germination but did germinate a little. Really wanted to put in a buckwheat plot to try to get some buckwheat honey (or at least add a little variety to the mix). Didn't do much. Next time I'll just make the hour drive to Standish Milling and get a 50lb bag.

· Registered
2,349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Family Farm & Home has bin seed available to everyone. I've went this route the last 2 years because it's less expensive and I can create the blend of my choice. I think these big companies just through together a hodge-podge of seeds knowing that something will take, and the buyer will be happy seeing green in their plot. A lot of the time their mixes don't make a lot of sense with oats/rye blended with brassicas.

With that said, Fusion is a good mix, and that's a great price. I may have to grab a bag at that price for frost seeding a couple spots in need this spring if my local TSC has any.

Thanks for the heads-up.
I liked the looks of the Fusion. Berseem and Ladino clovers with Chicory added in. Should turn into a really nice plot/pollinator garden. The only thing that seems to want to grow here at my new place is clover, so that is what I'm focusing around.

How was your germination rate with the FFH bulk seed bin stuff?

· Registered
2,349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Tsc by my house didn't have any:(
As a general tip, people may want to ask or search the back wall. I hit four TSC's last year buying their clearance seed and found it stuffed all over in some of the most random places. At my local store, it's up in a prime spot until about end of October. When I found the Fusion it was already migrated to the back tucked in with stuff that made no sense.

· Registered
2,349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
Dang!!! Way to far for me
From a few facebook groups I belong to, it's just a matter of finding one with it cheap. They are all different priced right now.

Some people are finding it for $6.99.

I'm trying to figure out how many more bags I need. I don't have property to plant right now beyond my 2 acres...which has limited planting room available still. But am hopefully buying next year. But $50 in seed isn't much more than what it costs for the four of us to eat a fast food meal anymore...it's not big money...

· Registered
2,349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
Which one of you drove down from the upper peninsula to try to buy out the Gaylord TSC fusion stock? Sounds like we were the third people in there today looking for it and they allegedly can't find it lol.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts