Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
2,814 Posts
Family Farm & Home has bin seed available to everyone. I've went this route the last 2 years because it's less expensive and I can create the blend of my choice. I think these big companies just through together a hodge-podge of seeds knowing that something will take, and the buyer will be happy seeing green in their plot. A lot of the time their mixes don't make a lot of sense with oats/rye blended with brassicas.

With that said, Fusion is a good mix, and that's a great price. I may have to grab a bag at that price for frost seeding a couple spots in need this spring if my local TSC has any.

Thanks for the heads-up.

·
Registered
5,961 Posts
I think these big companies just through together a hodge-podge of seeds knowing that something will take, and the buyer will be happy seeing green in their plot.
Basically. I'd say 75%+ have annual ryegrass... and you know i'm guilty of throwing a few bags of that stuff down and YES it will look like a picturesque green food plot but it's also ryegrass so yeah read the labels carefully.

Also do you guys find that stuff germinates after it has been sitting on the shelf for a year? I've had mixed results using seed even just a year later. Longer than that and I might as well pitch it.

·
Registered
2,814 Posts
Also do you guys find that stuff germinates after it has been sitting on the shelf for a year? I've had mixed results using seed even just a year later. Longer than that and I might as well pitch it.
I personally have not. The rule of thumb I've always used is 10% germ loss each year. I tend to overseed, so a bag of older seed would be a blessing in disguise for me!! 🤣

·
Registered
2,164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm a label reader on any BOaB product. What started me down the food plot path for personal usage wasn't even deer hunting. I was trying to find Chicory seed for a pollinator garden.

On the freshness/germination aspect-
Most are good for a long time if you store the seed properly. I've got a couple relatives that I've bought the clearance seed as Christmas gifts that have created some really nice plots.

I have had two duds.

Tecomate Chicory did absolutely nothing. Tried everything to get it to germinate. No dice. Huge bummer because I really wanted it for the flowers. Judge me as much as you like lol.

The Family Farm and Home (40 minutes away) bulk bin buckwheat had awful germination but did germinate a little. Really wanted to put in a buckwheat plot to try to get some buckwheat honey (or at least add a little variety to the mix). Didn't do much. Next time I'll just make the hour drive to Standish Milling and get a 50lb bag.

·
Registered
5,961 Posts
Ah ok. So if it's one of the sealed bags it's probably OK for the most part. I had an entire 50lb bag of field rye that was kept in the garage go bad one year. Seed itself looked fine but didn't produce a single speck of green. The bag was paper so I assume fluctuations in moisture content caused most of it to fail if it was good to begin with.

·
Registered
2,164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Family Farm & Home has bin seed available to everyone. I've went this route the last 2 years because it's less expensive and I can create the blend of my choice. I think these big companies just through together a hodge-podge of seeds knowing that something will take, and the buyer will be happy seeing green in their plot. A lot of the time their mixes don't make a lot of sense with oats/rye blended with brassicas.

With that said, Fusion is a good mix, and that's a great price. I may have to grab a bag at that price for frost seeding a couple spots in need this spring if my local TSC has any.

Thanks for the heads-up.
I liked the looks of the Fusion. Berseem and Ladino clovers with Chicory added in. Should turn into a really nice plot/pollinator garden. The only thing that seems to want to grow here at my new place is clover, so that is what I'm focusing around.

How was your germination rate with the FFH bulk seed bin stuff?

·
Registered
2,164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Tsc by my house didn't have any:(
As a general tip, people may want to ask or search the back wall. I hit four TSC's last year buying their clearance seed and found it stuffed all over in some of the most random places. At my local store, it's up in a prime spot until about end of October. When I found the Fusion it was already migrated to the back tucked in with stuff that made no sense.

·
Registered
5,410 Posts
Ah ok. So if it's one of the sealed bags it's probably OK for the most part. I had an entire 50lb bag of field rye that was kept in the garage go bad one year. Seed itself looked fine but didn't produce a single speck of green. The bag was paper so I assume fluctuations in moisture content caused most of it to fail if it was good to begin with.
That is why you clean out your farm seed out of your bins before refilling.
Always check out the back corner of a TSC for good deals, usually half price off.

·
Premium Member
13,533 Posts
I won't buy any seed with a picture of a buck on the package.
A religious thing?
Or buck fever?

On a more serious note.....I never bought BOB seed prior to 2020.
Took Doubletree's advice (Paul Knox, may he rest in peace) and simply got what I needed from mills or Welters or Merit.
'Generic', I suppose.
And have been quite happy. The local deer too.

But then I bought --on promo-- some soil-test kits from Whitetail Inst.
Once I did that I became another target for their email promo campaign.

And I bit on one offer.
I bought a sample pack with 3 separate packages: Chicory, Clover, Brassicas.
And you know what?
The stuff turned out to be pretty darn good.
So, if a promo comes down the pike that is competitive with what I get from the Cedar Springs Mill, or Merit, etc.....I'll give 'em another try.

·
Administrator
40,932 Posts
A religious thing?
Or buck fever?

On a more serious note.....I never bought BOB seed prior to 2020.
Took Doubletree's advice (Paul Knox, may he rest in peace) and simply got what I needed from mills or Welters or Merit.
'Generic', I suppose.
And have been quite happy. The local deer too.

But then I bought --on promo-- some soil-test kits from Whitetail Inst.
Once I did that I became another target for their email promo campaign.

And I bit on one offer.
I bought a sample pack with 3 separate packages: Chicory, Clover, Brassicas.
And you know what?
The stuff turned out to be pretty darn good.
So, if a promo comes down the pike that is competitive with what I get from the Cedar Springs Mill, or Merit, etc.....I'll give 'em another try.
Because it is over priced. Just go to the elevator and buy what you need

·
Registered
2,814 Posts
Because it is over priced. Just go to the elevator and buy what you need
That's the point of the post. $16 for 3.5lbs of chicory/clover seed is less expensive than what I can get 3.5lbs of the ladino white clover seed at my local FF&H. Regular price at $32, yeah overpriced.

·
Administrator
40,932 Posts
That's the point of the post. $16 for 3.5lbs of chicory/clover seed is less expensive than what I can get 3.5lbs of the ladino white clover seed at my local FF&H. Regular price at $32, yeah overpriced.
10-4

1 - 20 of 26 Posts