Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, want to take advantage of some of my access to the area shorelines, SCS-Grosse Pointe Area piers, but dont necessarily want to put in more then a few hours going for some eyes... and I am always hearing about catching nice walleye at dark, but not sure if 6pm now counts as dark :confused:...

Perhaps a silly question, but what is the most effective time?
Now that it is dark early, does this mean I can get out and target them early evening? Or is it usually late night casting that would increase my odds? What about before sun-up?

Is there a better bait/presentation to use as the evening goes on or daylight arrives???

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
My experience from shore is the bite typically starts just after 6pm after the time change otherwise it's too light out yet, and can last well into the evening. I usually get to my spot just before 6pm to get settled in and start casting. So far this year for me it has been slow I think because of the unusually warm weather we've had. I've been out three or four times so far and only hooked up on one only to lose it as I was landing it on the shore and it was 6:20pm when I looked at my watch. In my spot 6:30pm to 8pm have been the hot times for me in the past but the temps were cooler and I usually don't fish past 8pm.... personal preference. Just have to get out there and do it you'll figure out a pattern after a while.

Last year by this time I had caught 6 walleye but again I believe it's because the temps were cooler. I won't be going out again until the temps are in the 32-40 degree range at night with light winds. I think the temperature has more to do with the bite than the time when fishing from shore because I have done better in 32-40 degree temps. and this year it has been in the mid to upper 40's.....just an observation I've made. So maybe that means it's a better bite later in the evening as the temperature drops. When it got real cold like in the 20's it was over for the year. It's a small window of opportunity and you have to capitalize on it before it gets too cold.

Lures I use are all stick baits in the 3-1/2 to 4-1/2" range. The larger baits can cast further out especially if there's some wind and obviously a larger profile. Rapalas F-9 and F-11, Thundersticks w/rattle and Bomber Long A's. If you have deep water by shore you can try crank baits but I think the slow wobble the stick baits have are more effective this time of year. As far as color goes I really don't think that matters too much at night. I have caught them on firetiger and blue/silver combo so far. I think they see the silouhette of the lure more, use their sense of smell so I use scent and vibration from the lure so rattles shine there as well as the wobble of the lure. Hope this helps ya out some........Scott

·
Registered
2,888 Posts
anytime it's dark is a good time. I have noticed that 11pm to 12 midnight seems very good but 10 guys will probably come up with 10 different preferences...just go. FYI...water clarity/wind conditions are much more important than time of day.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts