Michigan-Sportsman.com banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I live on a lake that isn't super big but 80-90' deep. It has rainbow and browns,a few pike and panfish. Not many people ice fish it. I've tried but have a hard time getting a trout?? Should I throw out a tip up and minnow? If so what depths? I try jigging a #6 Swedish pimple but still nothing? Any tips greatly appreciated.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
20,895 Posts
Rainbows and browns will tend to be fairly shallow. I would be looking at the top 20' or less. Is there an inlet or outlet ?

I would use a tip up with blues. But If there is an inlet...well that's different.

·
Registered
380 Posts
In all seriousness..... That other guy is right. From all the research i have done the trout tend to patrol in the shallow waters. Google search: trout ice fishing.

·
Registered
20,895 Posts
Great info in that article, but again if there is an inlet, even a small one....that is where you want to be. The noise part of that article is also key, if your setting tip ups or slammers watch them from a distance.

You can also place your rod in a holder or bucket, tie a piece of yarn on your line, just big enough to hold your bait at the right depth when the yarn rests against the tip eye, but small enough so it pulls through the eye when the fish takes the bait.

·
Registered
3,361 Posts
Rainbows and browns will tend to be fairly shallow. I would be looking at the top 20' or less. Is there an inlet or outlet ?

I would use a tip up with blues. But If there is an inlet...well that's different.

I know people who fished trout in 2 feet.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Are there any advantages to a slammer over using a tip-up or a rod in the water with a mark on it? Is it hard to hook fish on regular tip-ups?

·
Registered
20,895 Posts
The only real advantage is in very shallow water under ice. It's easier to land a 100mph fish with a rod you can stick down the hole.

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for the replies. I appreciate it and will try it this weekend. And Yes there is an inlet/outlet that goes into another lake.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Get as close as you can to that inlet.
Ok will do. I'll head there after work tomorrow. It's about 200 yards away in front of the house. Maybe try a wiggler or jig. I would like to try a tip up and minnow this weekend. They have to be there because I catch nice trout in the spring and summer.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
2,800 Posts
use greys not blues, if you can find greys this year. Or a large perch minnow. Top 15 feet for rainbow or browns, lakers are on the bottom. good luck.

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks for all the awesome advice. I went out today after work 3:30. drilled 2 holes jigging a # 6 Swedish pimple. I was in about 50 foot of water and I was fishing 15 feet. After jigging for bit I landed a 20" small mouth. Let it go. Not a trout I was looking for LOL but man thats exciting. I'm gonna try tomorrow with the tip up & minnows.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
79 Posts
I've had really good luck using wigglers on a #8 or #10 treble with a glow in the dark rubber barrel on the shank. Very close to the inlet and only 3-5 feet below the surface in 8-10 feet of water.

Good luck. post some pictures when you start pulling them in.

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I've had really good luck using wigglers on a #8 or #10 treble with a glow in the dark rubber barrel on the shank. Very close to the inlet and only 3-5 feet below the surface in 8-10 feet of water.

Good luck. post some pictures when you start pulling them in.
Yeah thanks for the tips. This morning I caught a bunch of bass in 15-20' jiggin a rainbow trout Northland spoon. No trout yet yet but what a blast last 2 days. Haven't ice fished in years. The bass ranged from 15-25". Nice ones.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
3,281 Posts
ive caught my share of browns in 3 ft of water or less...spawn waxies crawlers shiners

Sent from my ALCATEL_one_touch_988 using Ohub Campfire mobile app

·
Registered
373 Posts
Yeah thanks for the tips. This morning I caught a bunch of bass in 15-20' jiggin a rainbow trout Northland spoon. No trout yet yet but what a blast last 2 days. Haven't ice fished in years. The bass ranged from 15-25". Nice ones.
Posted via Mobile Device
So you caught an 8 pound bass??????

1 - 20 of 32 Posts