Michigan-Sportsman.com banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm heading up to the PM area Sept 8 - 12 to fly fish for some salmon. During that time we are going to be out looking for some small streams to get some trout. I just wanted to make sure that trout are in season in that area because I don't wanna get caught out during the off season.

·
Super Moderator
19,634 Posts
All streams remain open until September 30th. Certain ones have extended seasons until December 31. (Lil' River)

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
It is usually really picking back up in the warmer streams at that time. The only problem is that the water is often low and clear. Once the fall rains start the water comes up and gets a little color and the big fish seem to move out into more accessable spots. You all can chase the Salmon I will take care of the trout every night after work.:D

·
Premium Member
8,025 Posts
Just a reminder if you aren't color blind keep your trout books from this year. Next year the dnr won't discriminate against the color blind. All booklets will be in black and white so we all have to stumble thru the ifs ands and buts of the trout regulations.

·
Registered
4,744 Posts
I still can't believe they won't put a color version online availeable for download?!?!

·
Premium Member
8,025 Posts
How much did it cost us to develop the trout regs we have now. It didn't take a Phelidelphia lawyer to figure them out before. There are so many exceptions in Michigan hunting and fishing regs it is almost impossible for a native to figure them out let alone a new person. I guess it's keep us confused and we won't know what is legal and what isn't.

·
Premium Member
21,607 Posts
Don't depend on color coding to keep you from violating trout/salmon stream regs. The Little Manistee has been coded incorrectly since the inception of that little ($$$$) booklet came out. You have to READ through the various rivers for the "exceptions".

·
Registered
3,099 Posts
I think if the DnR sold the Trout books for nominal fee, say 2 bucks or so they would easily pay for themselves. The real problem is that people forget their book and then stop by the bait shop and pick up another one. Since they are free this can happen several times a year. That's alot of wasted resources. I know after buying a 27 dollar licsense we should be entitled to a free guide, but It would not break my wallet to pay for a guide book.

·
Premium Member
8,025 Posts
Woops I gave away my age, how many remember getting a trout STAMP. I also remember when you didn't need a fancy booklet to figure out the trout seasons. As all I do is fish small streams for brookies and browns. I haven't seen any thing done to improve my type of trout fishing. There for I sure don't want ot pay more for that fancy booklet.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts