Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If you're catching green sunfish or other warm-water species, is it a good bet that there are no trout in that section of the stream? Most of my experience has been in the smokeys - totally different than what I've seen here.

·
Retired
3,347 Posts
Both can survive in the same environment.

I've caught bluegills, perch, rockbass, and smallmouth in the Little Manistee River.

Plenty of times where I've caught trout in the same location with these species.

·
Registered
7,996 Posts
Depends on the stream. Like Diz said, you can catch other fish, but still have some trout around.

The first place I'd start is here:

http://www.michigandnr.com/fishstock/

Enter in the county and stream you're fishing and see if it's ever or still does get any plants of trout. Since you're posting in the SW forum and talking about catching warm water species, then I'd venture a guess that you're in a marginal stream and if it does have any trout, they'd be some that were planted. For time frame, I'd go back 10 years and just see if at anytime in that 10 years, they've planted browns or rainbows.

·
Registered
10,711 Posts
diz is correct. ive caught anywhere from perch to pike trout fishing along with browns and brooks. one stream ive caught browns bows steelies salmon smallies gills largemout rock bass catfish pike chubs and brook trout.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Premium Member
2,337 Posts
one time,over 40 years ago, went trout fishing at duke creek n cault a limit of gills all around 8" (good eaters) are there still trout in duke creek?

·
Registered
13,840 Posts
I've seen a LOT of Pike in the Little Man when Steelhead were spawning. They usually spawn around the same time. On the other hand, I wouldn't expect to find Rainbow Trout in Fletcher's Pond, but there are a ton of Pike.

·
Registered
10,711 Posts
one time,over 40 years ago, went trout fishing at duke creek n cault a limit of gills all around 8" (good eaters) are there still trout in duke creek?
yes
Posted via Mobile Device

1 - 10 of 10 Posts