Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm having a hard time stopping my dog from taking birds out of other dogs mouths if he is the 2nd one to a downed bird. Any help with how to correct this problem would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
72 Posts
My pup now did the same thing until he tried to take the bird away from my full grown lab and the lab let him know who's bird it was. Matter of fact the setter ( 8 month ) pup has a scar on his head that will always remind him. He has never done it since that time.

·
Registered
6,524 Posts
This is a dominance problem I hunted with a shorthair that not only stold points also took the birds away from my setters. My setters aren't fighters so they let it get away with it. Teach the dog to whoa if it starts to go after bird and it knows what whoa means light it up with a electric collar. But make sure it knows it getting light up for breaking whoa not stealing retrieves. You don't want to discurage retrieving or worse getting light up around a bird and make a blinker out of it.

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
Does your dog understand the whoa or stay command? If so, he should stay put until you release him. Having two dogs myself that are very close in age and abilities, I have had to work on this problem as well.

During my backyard training sessions and after the individual lessons, I work with the dogs together. In the long run, I am hoping that they will become my dynamic duo. While working on retrieves, I keep one dog on a checkcord in the heel position and the other ready to go. I throw out the dummy or bird, fire off the starter pistol and send out the free dog. After a successful retrieve to hand (they are getting better), I will switch dogs and repeat. After a couple of sessions, we were checkcord free and I could send either dog. However, I am not training retrievers and I started to send both dogs after the retrieve (this would be like the real world, right??). They both made a b-line for the bird and proceeded to play keep away with it until I called them in. Back to the starting blocks I go. The fix for me was in the tone function on my e-collars. I use this to get them to stop in their tracks - sort of like a silent whoa. As soon as the first dog got to the bird, I gave the tone to the other dog. This took some practice and I further refined this by ensuring that one would always get there first and then I would whoa the other. Sometimes the tone would not work so I overlayed it with a slight zap.

So, this is what worked for me. If you don't have two dogs, be sure that he understands the whoa command. He needs to have patience and realize that it is OK to share once in a while. Good luck.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Hi Harold- Wasn't sure what hunt he was talking about. Was just hoping it wasn't Lacey on last year's hunt, I thought she did take a bird from one of his dog's once, or cut one of them off. Maybe not though can't really remember.
Was teasing about the "damn pointers" the teasing about longtails and shortails. Wasn't anything serious. Actually mis read it thought it was gsp. not shorthair.

·
Registered
6,524 Posts
Yes it was your dog but I didn't want you to fell bad so I didn't answer. You have the best hunting shorthair I've hunted with. The pointer in Lacey give it the hunt the shorthair in her gives her the bad manners. Think about it if you were a dog and they cut off your tail wouldn't you hold a grudge! Sorry you can't make the hunt we were looking foward to picking on you.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Whew Harold had me worried with his reply:p I was refering to Lacey with the damn pointer remark.
When Lacey and Bruce are together they are "bird hog's" :p She's more polite with me. Just kidding.
No feeling's hurt here WD. She was 2 or 3 and trained when we got her. Hopefully with more hunting this year she won't do that again. Not trying to make excuses for her either, she is what she is.
Have fun on the hunt, wish I could make it.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts