Michigan-Sportsman.com banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is my first year trying to bow hunt, and I am having a little trouble.

To be honest, I am not really interested in taking a deer during this season, but mainly wanted to have an excuse to be outside earlier in the year. That is unless a big buck comes through, then I'll give it a try.

My problem is the area where I am hunting is thick cover, and kind of wet and swampy. There are a couple of good places to hunt, but you can't get a shot of more than 15-20 yards. Saturday morning I went out and had some doe come under my blind, but they were so close everytime I would try to stand up (I was going to see if I could draw on them with out them noticing me), they would get real nervous and run away.

What do you do when the deer are so close to you? I know that this happens all of the time to people, but how do you get up and get a shot off when the forest is silent and you need to stand up to take a shot. Part of the problem is that the gound is always wet, so they deer don't make much noise when coming in, so they are on top of me before I know it.

I bought a ladder stand, so I can only get up 15ft. Is there anything I could do other than just standing up the whole time? Do any of you ever shoot from a seated position?

Also part of my problem is that my arrow makes a noise on the two points of the arrow rest when I draw it. Is there any advise that will help me out with this?

Thanks alot.
Utahan

·
Registered
20,126 Posts
First, get some "mole-skin" for the arrow rest. That will take care of the noise from the arrow. Next, think back to when you saw the does,, did you hear something earlier, that "could" have been a deer?? Odds are,, it probably was. I have the EXACT same problem as you. When I hear that first twig snap,,, I STAND UP! Yeah,, it might be a squirrel,, it might NOT too. After a few times on stand you'll figure out the "sounds" of your spot. I had a deer come in under my stand, yesterday, this deer was no more than 6 yards away. She snorted me and then never made another sound, backing outta there. I also, never actually saw her.

·
Administrator
35,629 Posts
Those are generally the conditions I hunt under. In fact I haven't ever taken a deer at more than 10 yds. I use the Silent Solution arrow rest. Buy the quietest clothes (this is now the loudest part of my draw) I can find and hunt only out of the cover of thick white pines.

It's sometimes tough to get a shot off but when I do, I am very confident that I have a downed deer. Traffic noise (like a big semi going down the highway) can be very useful as well :)

·
Registered
1,217 Posts
Few hints...

Practice shooting seated. Be comfortable with a sitting shot.

Make sure your able to stand quietly and quickly, have your bow in an easy spot to grab with as little movement as possible.

Try bringing a hunting chair with you and sit on the ground down wind from the most used deer trail.

Take some trimmers with you. Don't tear the place up but cut a few small shooting windows while trying not to leave your sent all over the woods.

Mole-Skin works well on your arrow rest. Take a few shots to make sure the mole-skin hasn't effected your arrow flight.

Good luck and good hunting!:)

·
Registered
10,443 Posts
Using ambient noises is a good tip for when you have to move and adjust. Also, consider your silhouette against the canopy, are you in the open against the trunk? Consider adding something to hide your outline against the canopy. Clamp some limbs, or find an ol’ artificial Christmas tree in an garage sale and add that behind you to mask your outline.

Try and not look directly at deer you have no intention on taking, or any deer for that matter. I try and never let them see both of my eyes, something about two eyes boring down on them that makes em spooky. Maybe think about picking up a squirrel call and use it when you think you’ve been had. The deer aren’t sure what you are all the time, but they sense something there, try shaping their perception of you into something harmless.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Utahan-
I won't reiterate everything else that the rest have said, but very good advice nonetheless...one thing I always do which lowers the amount of noise I make is make sure I have a rug in my pack. One of the old rag rugs with no backing seems to work best and I place that on the floor of the stand which prevents the nobs on your boots from making sound when moving. Also, it helps dried mud from falling down, drawing attention to you. Part of the fun of bowhunting is that you don't get long shots, it requires way more skill and practice than gun hunting. Once you get used to being able to move with stealth and once you have placed that first well-placed kill shot on an animal you thought you couldn't get that close to without spooking them, your sense of accomplishment will be far superior to any 100+ yard shot placed with a gun. Not to preach, but practice practice practice...a lot less foot pounds of energy is coming out of that bow than your favorite gun and well placed shots are the key to recovery. Bowhunting is not about the kill, but the requirements that lead to the kill. Enjoy the woods and good luck with getting used to the confines and restrictions of bowhunting!

·
Registered
1,332 Posts
i have shot deer both sitting and standing. i would rather shoot standing up if i have a choice. i set my seat so that i am almost standing up when i am on the seat. this way the movement is minor if any when i stand.
i also look for brush behind me when i set up a stand. if the deer can see your siliouette you are done. i like to have some cover both infront and behind me.
if a deer does bust you the squirrel call thing works well. i had a eight point buck catch me moving, he bolted away about 25 yrds. i started to call like a alarmed squirrel and he walked right back under me.
good luck and don't give up.

·
Super Moderator
7,371 Posts
I have not tried it, but I have heard people use huge stretched-out wool socks sliped over their boots after they are in their stand.
This muffles sound on the metal of the stand plus catches any clumps of mud within the tread of the boots that could dry and drop to the ground.
I may try it myself

·
Registered
15,867 Posts
Thick, wet and swampy = deer park funland!

·
Registered
781 Posts
All kinds of good info here! about all I would add is to be constantly alert, glass the area, I know it may sound funny to be using binoculars in an area that is so confined but you will be surprised at how much more territory you can watch doing this. Just be on the lookout for movement of any type. Be ready when the deer get to you ! anytime deer sneak up on me I know I must have been not paying close enough attention. By all means practice shooting while sittlng just in case they do sneak up on you, it happens to more than I'd like to admit. Seeing the deer before they get into range is the key to killing big deer of either sex. Have a ball.

·
Administrator
17,424 Posts
The area I hunt in is exactly as you describe. You generally can not even see deer until they are 20 yards or less away. I can't tell you how many times this past week the deer just seemed to appear out of nowhere. When I can't use my ears to hunt, I limit my motion down to basically zero. I use peripheral vision and try not to move a muscle. I believe you have a better chance of seeing mature deer in these situations if you sit as if you always have a deer within 10 yards of yourself. The good news is, leaves will be falling soon and the woods will dry up.

For your questions, I agree with Steve... The Silent Solution is the best rest on the market and I have not spooked a single deer drawing since I have owned one. When to stand? I try to move only when I see the deer and visually can see they have their guard down. You have to read the deer and let them tell you when you can move. Personally, if I need to stand to get a shot I will stand. If I can shoot without standing, I won't risk the motion. <----<<<

1 - 11 of 11 Posts