Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
380 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First a report. Fished Sat morning near St. Clair light. 1 walleye 21 inch and 26 nice sized perch. My question is when trolling with bottom bouncers what weight does everyone use out in these areas. I have been using 1oz and it seems if I get over 2mph it rides to high and the hits are limited. I would like to go a little faster to entice a few more eyes. It seems when I go a little slower the perch get me really fast. Will 2 oz do the trick? Any help would be great. I will be out in that area tomorrow trying again.

·
Super Moderator
10,178 Posts
Figure approx 1 oz per 10 fow. If I'm running 6 rods, I'll use 2 4's, 2 3's and 2 2's to space them a bit. Just my opinion. :)

·
Registered
681 Posts
I use 3 ounce bouncers in the river unless im fishing shallow then ill go to a 2 oz.Out in the lake i usually go with the 1 oz seems to keep it nice at around 10-25 fow...But max speed is around 2 on a handheld with the 1 oz after 2 loose bottom..

·
Registered
380 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the replies. I will try 2 oz tomorrow. Will report when I get back. Have the whole day off I am doing an am and pm fish tomorrow.

·
Registered
4,046 Posts
1 1/2 oz. for the lake, trolling at 1.4 mph........

Mushy

·
Registered
380 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Not to much to report. About 20 nice perch. Several little ones. 1 walleye. Lost one at the net. Shut down pretty fast after 10. Both Wallys came on purple. I think I might try the dumping grounds this evening

·
Registered
4,046 Posts
I think I might try the dumping grounds this evening
Was out there yesterday, and got the big SKUNK-a-Roo........Not even a RockBass.......Hopefully you do better, PM me if you want any insight.....;)

Mushy

·
Registered
4,046 Posts
What, on how to get skunked!! :p Most of us are quite capable on our own! :lol: ;)
:lol::lol: LMFAO......That didnt read like it was supposed to.....:lol: My intent was to tell him not to go there, but to try another spot that I heard is HHHHHHOOOOTTTT. What can i say, Im feeling a little generous for info today.

Mushy

·
Registered
6,572 Posts
Saturday I was above (upstream ) of the St. Clair light, only dink perch
and some silver mixed in,

As far as the b. bouncers I use as light as I can get away with, I have some that are 5/8 , 3/4 oz and like em because they let the bait get away from the boat. I use a gas kicker and worry about noise and spooking the fish.
I dont get limits but I catch wlleyes out there too.

·
Registered
2,287 Posts
What, on how to get skunked!! :p Most of us are quite capable on our own! :lol: ;)
That's some funny stuff right there:lol:.

Chris,
Did you do the fish dance????? "get in the boat fish fish.....get in the boat..... get in the boat fish fish .... get in the boat." Works like a ..... a ..... well, it doesn't work worth a darn, but watching a guy of your size doing it while wearing that 1960's shirt would be freaking funny:lol:;)! Bummer on the skunkola.... I guess I didn't miss much.

·
Registered
380 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Did not hit the Dumping Grounds. Decided to take the ride to bouys 27 and 28 Did well on both sides. Hit a smorgasbord of fish. 12 nice perch, hit a school of white perch caught about 9, 3 rock bass, 2 smallies, 3 walleyes and a 4th that broke the second hook on the harness got away, and a 12lb channel cat:yikes:Caught one that went 16lbs:yikes: last week in the same area. Orange blade and orange beads took ALL walleyes. Wind at around 9 made for a rough ride back to the woods park. Buddy called wants me to fish the south end with him in the am, anyone doing anything at the mouth since the dumps looks like it might be a no go.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts