Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Since my jigging action came the a screeching halt this morning, I was wondering if anyone could give some tips on harness trolling??

What size weight? With or against current? Speed??:help:

The info i've got from reading all these great post has put a lot more eyes in my boat this year :)

Thanks Y'all

·
Registered
281 Posts
Reelfun said:
Since my jigging action came the a screeching halt this morning, I was wondering if anyone could give some tips on harness trolling??

What size weight? With or against current? Speed??:help:

The info i've got from reading all these great post has put a lot more eyes in my boat this year :)

Thanks Y'all
3o/z to 6o/z bottom bouncers, with a 24 to 36 in drift rig harness. with or against the current, do not troll a stright line, mix it up a bit, once the bouncer hits the bottom set the reel, you can also run crakbaits this way, you might have seen me out the past two weeks running this way.
ONE MORE RIP !

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the help. I do run bottom bouncers in Erie & St. Clair,so i thought this set up would be diff. for the river.

The search was toooo general for the Det. River

Any more tips would be GREAT

Thanks Y'All

·
Registered
11,860 Posts
When I run BB down in erie, I run the harness like you normally would and then put a scorpian spoon on a short lead and clip it to the main line.

The spoon will slid down the line, but won't hang up on the harness.

I would imigane I could just rig a 3 way and hook it to that with a dropper to the BB..

·
Registered
1,886 Posts
When drifting in the river with bouncer's and harnesses use the ones with the floater's.;) It helps to keep your bait off the bottom and away from alot of the junk fish. And make sure you are going just a little faster than the current to keep the blades spinning. I like to use a very slow jigging action. Back and forth. Spins the blades, than it comes to a brief rest before you pull a little again to spin the blades again. Alot of strikes will come when you pause and then when you pull again you'll feel the resistance of the fish and set your hook hard!!! It is a very relaxing and productive method of fishing.

Here's some pics of my gear and how I store my harnesses. Learned about the noodle thing on this site. Thanks guys! It works great!:D

·
Registered
4,046 Posts
salmonslammer said:
Can you stack a 2nd line with a spoon on it in the river???
Yes you can, but when theyre really going, you are just untangling messes from all the action.

Hey Newby, welcome to the site.....(Forgot you name) Most of the time in Detoit river, you only need to go with 3 oz. BB to be successful. I troll down river 99% of the time. Reason being, the Walts are facing up river, and they have a better chance of seeing it a ways off. Not saying that trolling up is not good, but I seem to do better going down stream. 2 hook harness, 36 to 48 inch leads, with everything from #4 to #6 Colorados, hachets, willow leafs....They all work great. PM me if you want any custom color blades that are ESSENTIAL for success in the River.....;)

Mushy

·
Registered
1,886 Posts
3oz!!!:yikes: I only use 2 or 2 1/2oz! Think I'd need shoulder surgery if I used that much weight!:lol:

·
Registered
4,046 Posts
Derek, what do you use for bait on the one hook harness??? Heard of guys using a twister tails!!!

Mushy

·
Registered
4,046 Posts
CASTMASTER 5000 said:
3oz!!!:yikes: I only use 2 or 2 1/2oz! Think I'd need shoulder surgery if I used that much weight!:lol:
Im a big Man, I can handle a little more weight.....:lol:

Mushy

·
Registered
1,886 Posts
MUSHY1 said:
Im a big Man, I can handle a little more weight.....:lol:

Mushy
:lol: :lol: :lol:

I still use a great big honkin glob of worm for my harnesses. You can't beat what has worked for all of time. If it ain't broke... don't fix it!;)

·
Registered
4,046 Posts
Same here......Worms rule.....you ought to try the twister tail on the lake this summer, heard some guys really tear them up with the 1 hook harness....

Mushy

·
Registered
7,631 Posts
I use 3oz all the time to but with the current we have in the Saint Clair river you need it compared to that slow current you have in the Detroit river.. I run 4 rods down stream boys with 2 guys in the boat no reason not to, caught fish on white twister tails and Gulp this morning more lines in the water more fish, or at least untill the wind blew us of the water today dang white caps.. Cya Slick

·
Registered
199 Posts
Hi Mushy -
Thanks for the notes on the walleyes (your response to Reelfun). I'm heading out tomorrow and may try the trolling w/ harness in addition to the jigging. I'm trying the upper river - I've been going out of the lower river Ecorse lately. This is my first year doing this - and it's been pretty fun - but It's not as easy as all of the posts on these sites might suggest. I'm learning slowly. I have a 14ft vhull aluminum boat w/ a 15 hp evenrude outboard called the Bonnie Wee 3. I first got onto this site through perch fishing last year - and Houghton Laker gave me some tips...
Anyways - good luck and thanks again for the tips on trolling - and I would appreciate some tips on those custom colors for the harnesses that are essential for the river... I just bought some silver /Red beads, Chartreuse, green beads when I was at Lakeside today ordering my Canadian License.
Thanks
Bob Reaume

·
Registered
281 Posts
The_Mailman said:
Who has a good supply/selection of harness's and bottom bouncers? Need to start gearing up!
Get ahold of Slick , he has responed to your post, he knows someone who makes what i think is the best bottom bouncer on the market, i bought 24 in different sizes from him this spring.

·
Registered
4,046 Posts
The_Mailman said:
Who has a good supply/selection of harness's ? Need to start gearing up!
Me!!!!! Make your own, Lakeside and other stores have the simple colors and are nothing special. Unless you want to buy them tied and ready to go.....PM me if your interested in Beads and blades.....

Mushy

1 - 20 of 20 Posts