Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have had some good luck my last few times out near fermi when the waves would allow me to drift bb's harness's at 1 - 1.7 mph, but when I attempt to troll even at the same speed per gps as I drift I don't seem to catch anything. My perception while im out there is that while trolling my lines want to sit higher in the water column. Should I be letting more line out while trolling vs drifting even if speeds are the same on the GPS.

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
I troll almost exclusivly using both BB's as well as in-line weights. My trolling speed is .08-1.5 mph GPS!!! Use the formula for in-lines of 2'out, 1' down using 1oz inlines at 1 mph. Gets you very close. Bb's are usually on bottom.

·
Registered
262 Posts
If we are talking about strictly using crawler harnesses and that is what you want to do, then the typical set up is a 1.5-2oz BB depending on the wind and of course Erie Deries etc. However, if u are trolling u are going to need and want more weight if you want to keep your baits down. Depending on how slow you can or want to troll this may vary from 2-6oz. Even if you are going at the same speed as you were drifting you often need more weight because of the current and wind/wave action that you are working against when trolling as opposed to when drifting where your line is usually going with the current and waves..

1 - 3 of 3 Posts