Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone have a link or info on where I can find this info at? I was out over the weekend and couldn't figure out the line ratio.

·
Registered
4,610 Posts
rule of thumb for 1-1.2 mph
1 oz will be roughly 1/3 down. 30 feet of line = 10 ft down
2 oz will be 1/2, 3 oz will be 2/3.

I know these are pretty accurate, because if I put a rod in the front right rod holder, I mark the sinker on my Lowrance. if you go faster, they will not run as deep. these are using the BPS fish style in-line sinkers. n

·
Registered
894 Posts
I use 1 oz tadpoles and run my harnesses at 1.5 - 1.75 with 20 - 25 ft of line out. If I up the speed to 2.5 with spoons, how much do you think the depth would change for me?

·
Registered
4,610 Posts
I have not used tadpoles, so I don't have a clue. I do know that speed has a huge impact on depth. With crankbaits or Jets, they will dive deeper with more speed. However, with in-line sinkers, more speed dramatically decreases the depth that you will see. For example, with a 2 oz in-line, 40 feet of line out, @ 1.2 it will be roughly 20 feet down. However, at 1.5, it might be 16-17 ft. @ 2 mph it might be as low as 10 feet down.

·
Registered
4,610 Posts
I have not used tadpoles, so I don't have a clue. I do know that speed has a huge impact on depth. With crankbaits or Jets, they will dive deeper with more speed. However, with in-line sinkers, more speed dramatically decreases the depth that you will see. For example, with a 2 oz in-line, 40 feet of line out, @ 1.2 it will be roughly 20 feet down. However, at 1.5, it might be 16-17 ft. @ 2 mph it might be as low as 10 feet down.

·
Registered
89 Posts
I use 1 oz tadpoles and run my harnesses at 1.5 - 1.75 with 20 - 25 ft of line out. If I up the speed to 2.5 with spoons, how much do you think the depth would change for me?
Offshore has a depth chart on there website tadpoles are pretty consistent from 1.5 to 2.5 it's when you go slower they dive a lot deeper

1 - 11 of 11 Posts