Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking for recommendations for an 8 1/2' or longer rod to be high and out of the way that will be used for a churches stern planer that will be straight out of the back of my boat. I'm looking for something that will show flexion on the end so that I know there is a fish on. I used it for the first time last week and caught one last week using a stiffer 7ft rod and when pulling in lines at the end of the day, we had a 16' walleye on and never knew it. Any input???

·
Registered
2,066 Posts
I use 8'6" rod for mine. It's nothing special, I don't spend crazy money on rods. I haven't had a hard time detecting fish with them. I could maybe see it on the dipsy rods, not being sensitive enough. But I would surmise most standard 8'6" trolling rods would work fine.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,066 Posts
How do run 2? One on each side of the boat? Always was worried 2 down the chute would tangle

·
Registered
11,149 Posts
How do run 2? One on each side of the boat? Always was worried 2 down the chute would tangle

I didn't do it often....but when the fishing was really slow and the seas were fairly calm I have been known to run 19 baits at the same time on my boat:

3 riggers with sliders = 6
2 divers per side = 4
4 boards per side = 8
1 down the chute = 1
..............Total....... = 19 (baits on 16 rods)

IMG_0232.jpg

And I very much agree with those who said "Set the drag light" because watching the rods will just drive you crazy...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts