Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,028 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What is the consensus on trolling reels made today? I have a pair of red Penn 209's that must be 30 years old. New line every year or two, lube them, and they last. Never changed the drag disc's. ? Now Penn has a 209LC. What has been a good reel the past few years? I want to get reels for lead core use. Thanks.

·
Registered
3,712 Posts
For me it is line capacity and retreive speed, Penn's I have gotten rid of all of them tooo slow great well built reel but need a motor to bring in a fish in a hurry on a long line.

·
Registered
458 Posts
Shimanos in 700 and 800 are tough to beat for lead and copper

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

·
Banned
4,684 Posts
Lots of guys like the shimanos. Personally, I have seen alot of issues with them. A good reel for core is the Penn 330. As for your 209's, They are not the top of line but will work fine, maybe get a fresh rebuild on them.

·
Registered
2,028 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Which model Okuma? There are a few on Ebay right now. What i want to use it for is a SWR, so I will not be loading it up with 10 colors. I need a reel that can hold ALOT of line behind the core. Thanks, Bruce.

·
Registered
891 Posts
Go with the Convector 30 model. Should leave you plenty room for backer behind the swr. And from my experiences with that reel I have been very pleased with the performance for the money

·
Registered
2,028 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I have been hunting for reviews online. A few are negative thru the Cabelas site. China made, as of 2008, clicker, counter or spool issues. Bill in Lakeside and Dick's have then for a good price. Thanks for all the replies!

·
Premium Member
4,441 Posts
No way, convectors wear out fast. The drags are sticky and touchy. Might be fine reels for moderate use, but if you are someone who fishes a lot or charters, you will get sick of the. Diawa is my favorite.

·
Registered
3,440 Posts
What is the consensus on trolling reels made today? I have a pair of red Penn 209's that must be 30 years old. New line every year or two, lube them, and they last. Never changed the drag disc's. ? Now Penn has a 209LC. What has been a good reel the past few years? I want to get reels for lead core use. Thanks.
Daiwa or Penn. Those are the only options, IMHO.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts