Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
781 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 40 HP motor on a 16' boat and need to slow it down. I am looking at getting a trolling plate to install to the motor. Does anyone have any recommendations on a brand? Does it affect the motor performance at higher speeds? Is there any negative side effects to drilling holes in your motor?

Thanks in advance for the info.

·
Super Moderator
10,175 Posts
I have a Happy Troller on my 24 footer with a 225 Evinrude. It works quite well for trolling and doesn’t really seem to hurt performance although I’m sure the spray that hits it has a slight effect on top end performance. The only problem I’ve had is forgetting to bring it to the up position before you get on plane. It bends the crap out of it. The first time or two you can usually just bend it back but it will eventually crack the plate. You would think that after you have done it once you would not forget it again but that hasn’t been the case for me. :( It attaches using four 1/4 inch bolts which hasn't created any problems.

·
Registered
3,087 Posts
rough water,

With a 16' boat have you thought about bagging it instead of a trolling plate? I have a 17' smokercraft with a 115hp and I can get the speed down to 2.1-2.5 mph and if I need to go slower I through out a 22" dia. drift sock and that will get my down to 1.0-1.3 mph and it also gives me more control on my speeds.

·
Registered
781 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I thought about the socks but have heard they are a pain in the butt to use and take care of. I guess I am open to suggestions for both.

·
Registered
2,109 Posts
I have been on boats that have used the plates, they do slow you down some on the top end although not much. They do work. I Just don't care for them.. forgetting to pull it back in place, not locking in down or up position, bending, cavitation when running, etc. Way too many things to go wrong. On big boat, it may be the thing to use. Look at most of the Walleye pro's, most all of them bag their boats.

I too bag my boat. I use 30" bags, one on each side. come to a stop, toss the bags out, they are quick to fill, easy to pull.

Bags are like adding brakes to a boat. I store them in the Baitwell they are waterproof, don't mildew and wrap up pretty tight.

I do know that you will get a mix on opinions for the plate/bags, I have found that I prefer the bags.

Mark

·
Registered
781 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I assume you put them off the front of the boat?. Do they rub against the paint on the boat?

·
Registered
2,109 Posts
I tie them off on the cleats at Midship, just forward of the helm. the bags are drifting along side with the tailend almost at the stern. They do not mess with the paint...

Mark

·
Registered
4,725 Posts
I am kind of in the same position since i have no way of mounting a kicker motor. My engine will troll down to my desired speed of .7-1 mph, but it likes to have a fit once in awhile and stall, and ofcourse this usually happens when I am over my waypoint. :) I have tried buckets along with drift socks, and I don't like the way my boat reacts while I am trying to turn. It seems that I have a make a wide turn when I am using either. Does anyone know if a trolling plate creates problems whlie attempting to turn??? Do they help get on plane?? I usually need this since my cooler is full with all of the extra weight.:D :D

tubejig

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
We use a spring operated trolling. Not sure of the name off hand but I do know Cabelas has them. Give them a shot, never have to worrie about lifting it up.

·
Registered
2,377 Posts
Originally posted by tubejig
I am kind of in the same position since i have no way of mounting a kicker motor. My engine will troll down to my desired speed of .7-1 mph, but it likes to have a fit once in awhile and stall, and ofcourse this usually happens when I am over my waypoint. :) I have tried buckets along with drift socks, and I don't like the way my boat reacts while I am trying to turn. It seems that I have a make a wide turn when I am using either. Does anyone know if a trolling plate creates problems whlie attempting to turn??? Do they help get on plane?? I usually need this since my cooler is full with all of the extra weight.:D :D

tubejig
If your cooler is that heavy then you shouldnt change a thing...except call me to go fishin with you!!!:D :D

·
Registered
585 Posts
i have a 16' smokercraft with a 40 horse also. I use a plate but am not happy with it. It takes forever to turn and when you do turn your speed always changes. Also if there is the slightest breeze you cannnot control your boat. However they do slow your boat down alot.

·
Registered
308 Posts
My boat has trim tabs and I wonder if I put them in the down position if it would apply enough resistance to slow my troll and/or will this ruin them?

·
Registered
2,109 Posts
I used to have a 22 foot with bennet tabs, they would not slow me down enough to make a difference. It would make steering unresponsive.

Mark

·
Registered
262 Posts
I agree with John, the Happy Troller works well. I have had one on my 19 footer with a 5.0 liter for four years now and it does a great job. However as John said you need to remember to bring it back up! I have bent the crap out of mine many a time. Makes ya fell like a real dope when that puppy is bent.

Fish on..........:cool:

·
Registered
6 Posts
I have a trolling plate to . It does affect your turns a little.But that is because your thrust has to go around the plate so your response time is slowed way down.But Iam taking mine off my boat so if you are intrested in it we can make a deal drope me a emaile at [email protected] :cool: :p

·
Registered
472 Posts
I started using a bag last year and it worked well. I have a 60hp and can only idle down to 2mph. With the bag in the front I can get down to .7mph. I run the bag line through the bow eye that my trailer hook latches to. That way the bag stays fairly centered on the boat and you don't get a sideways drag. I could see where hooking a bag on each side of the bow might keep you centered also. DO NOT hook only one bag on one side. I tried that and it's a &!#$ keeping a straight line. I also wouldn't vote for buckets if you're worried about your paint job.

·
Registered
781 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thanks Oakley!

I think I am going to do the same thing, run it off the front of the boat. That way the kids will not hook it either. Do you notice any turning effects by running it off the front of the boat? How big a bag do you have and how much rope are you using from hte eye of the boat to the bag harness?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts