Michigan-Sportsman.com banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 16ft smokercraft fishing boat with its original 32lb trolling motor bow mount on it. I did not realize until I got the boat how much I'd actually fish the river,and this motor doesn't cut it.Any affordable troling motor recommendations? If I could get away with 12v that'd be nice. Not looking for all the bells and whistles, I'd like to keep it around 700.00$. Any help would be appreciated,thanks

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
I'd do a minnkota power drive. Figure in a new battery too in that budget of your's isn't newish or of sufficient size. For that money I think you'd be able to get a 55# without all of the tricked out stuff. Last winter/spring minnkota was offering gift card rebates too.

·
Premium Member
660 Posts
Id watch the classifieds. A lot of folks are upgrading to auto pilot, etc and selling nice used 12v 55# motors. I sold mine last year for $400.

I agree with Doug that a 55 should be good with your boat.

Sent from my iPhone using Ohub Campfire

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
Just looked it up. You could get a 55# v2 with a 54" shaft for $600. May be better prices but I just looked at cabelas. Our previous boat was a 16' with that trolling motor (an earlier version, v1) and it worked well. The longer shaft helped keep the motor head in the water while battling waves and wakes.

·
Registered
166 Posts
I agree with the advice of looking in the classifieds. Also, power drive foot pedals wear out REALLY fast. They're also 100 dollars each time. Personally, I like a cable steer for fishing the river.

Sent from my iPhone using Ohub Campfire

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
I have seen the issues on the foot pedals. We never experienced it on our earlier version. We used it pretty hard. I certainly would look the classifieds over go. We sold the motor guide off our new boat last spring for pretty cheap. We replaced it with a terrova.

·
Premium Member
2,853 Posts
What they said.

I fished the river all the time with my last boat and it had a powerdrive V2. I never used the foot pedel though. I purchased the Co-pilot add on and used the key fob all the time. Worked great in the river and could get a couple days out of a good battery (cabelas AGM).

Best prices are usually at BBGmarine.com

Nice thing about powerdrive is you can upgrade it if you want. Add the I-pilot, or other things. Only downfall is IF you add the I-pilot to the motor, you cannot have your foot pedel plugged in as it will not work. You can unplug I-pilot and plug in the pedel. Co-pilot can use both.

I have a co-pilot for sale if you purchase the motor.

I'd get the 54" shaft. I had a 48 on mine and it worked great but would come out of the water from time to time

·
Registered
449 Posts
craigslist there is a few on there right Now in Michigan.. not bad deals either

·
Premium Member
2,853 Posts
Co-Pilot is simply a Key fob that takes the place of a trolling motor foot pedel. The pedels for the powerdrive are a little hard to use if you are used to a standard cable steer foot pedel. You have to put your foot on the left or right. Not very good for the river. The key fob simply has a left, right, speed up, slow down button. It is a bolt on side plate that connects to the foot pedel connection on the trolling motor. The foot pedel then connects to another wire that comes out of the side plate.

I-pilot is replacing the drive head and internal componants with a GPS receiver. The remote (much bigger than co pilot) allows you to anchore lock (locks over a gps position just like having an anchore), save a course and navigate that course, perform auto pilot functions.

Co pilot add on is about $140.00. I-Pilot add on is around $450.00
Hope that helps

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well I ended up buying the terrova 55 with ipilot and us2. Did a lot of research and weighed my options, then pulled the trigger. Big selling feature for me was the controller and foot pedal.i don't see how just the controller would be good when fighting or trying to land a fish.Quite a bit more then I planned on spending but that's just the way she goes.thanks again for all the replies!

·
Premium Member
660 Posts
Well I ended up buying the terrova 55 with ipilot and us2. Did a lot of research and weighed my options, then pulled the trigger. Big selling feature for me was the controller and foot pedal.i don't see how just the controller would be good when fighting or trying to land a fish.Quite a bit more then I planned on spending but that's just the way she goes.thanks again for all the replies!

You will not regret that purchase. I promise.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts