Michigan-Sportsman.com banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,263 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm getting a 1775 Impact XS what shaft length would you guys recommend for a bow
mounted trolling motor will be fishing LSC. Planning on going with the Ulterra I know for that boat
the dealers put on a 60" but wondering if a 72" would be better.. Any comments would be appreciated.

·
Registered
895 Posts
Agree with longer is better. The 55” long shaft on my 16’ Rebel will come out of the water in 2’ waves.

·
Registered
1,263 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Longer the better. Not sure if you'll fish in bad weather but trolling motor won't do ya any good if it's out of the water half the time.
Great to see you won't be "stuck" on the wall. Congrats on the boat !
LOL and thanks ya I like fishing the wall but the hours you have to spend there was getting a little much for me and figured it was the time to give a boat a shot.

·
Registered
12,759 Posts
LOL and thanks ya I like fishing the wall but the hours you have to spend there was getting a little much for me and figured it was the time to give a boat a shot.
You need any help on river feel free to pm me. Like shooting fish in a barrel lately so sure you won't have a hard time but if anything just shout

·
Registered
8,621 Posts
If you plan on casting from the bow in shallow or weedy areas, don’t go any longer than 60” unless you like slamming your lures into the trolling motor head. It will be a good compromise size. If you aren’t going to cast at all, or much at all, then get the 72” of it will fit in the stowed position. Even with a 60” shaft in waves, just make the heaviest guy in your crew sit in the bow seat. The extra weight up there will give you 6-8” more shaft length vs. everyone standing in the back. Plus, that’s the best seat in the boat for watching boards out both sides.

·
Registered
8,621 Posts
Rollers aren’t worst case waves. 2 foot of chop on LSC from boat wakes will pop the bow up more than the longer period swells you get more often on Erie.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Talking about the 3 footers a south wind produces on the mouth of the Trenton channel. Sling you right out of your bow seat!

·
Registered
8,621 Posts
Talking about the 3 footers a south wind produces on the mouth of the Trenton channel. Sling you right out of your bow seat!
I didn’t know the down river folks called white caps rollers. Must be a southern dialect thing. Fish on and carry on.

·
Registered
1,263 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks I’m leaning towards the 60” not sure if the 72 will even fit the bow isn’t all that big. It appears from what I can tell the Ulterra if you go with the I-link only comes with down imaging is that correct? Wasn’t planning on putting a HB on the bow also.

·
Registered
1,263 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Called Minnkota and ya the Ulterra only comes with down imaging if you want I-pilot link now.

·
Registered
81 Posts
I was debating between the 54" and 60" Terrova for a 18'4" Starcraft. I guess I should spend the extra money of the 60 inch. $250 for 6 inches of shaft though? I don't charge the old lady that.

·
Registered
81 Posts
I have 18'3" Starcraft Super Sport. Some one online said that theirs had 29 inches from transom to water level. Seems like I should be able to get by with a 54" Terrova shaft length. If there are 3 ft waves I'm probably not going out.

·
Registered
579 Posts
I was debating between the 54" and 60" Terrova for a 18'4" Starcraft. I guess I should spend the extra money of the 60 inch. $250 for 6 inches of shaft though? I don't charge the old lady that.
She'll probably want the GPS also.

·
Registered
81 Posts
I told her it was a necessary for safety. Now I have to convince her that a new fish finder is also important for safety - setting way points and tracks for unfamiliar ports?

Sounds like I may need to spend the extra money on 60 inch length for the few days when it may be necessary

1 - 20 of 20 Posts