Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

Trolling motor for a 14ft row boat

1709 Views 18 Replies 10 Participants Last post by  Holzer
For the guys that run a tin can,what size/ lb thrust are you using on the saginaw river.. I'll have a 5.5hp for a main,but not sure on what size trolling motor to put on it.. (that 5.5hp might get upgraded if rosco still has his for sale)..
1 - 19 of 19 Posts
55# be enough there's no current. Might consider two batteries if you do long trips as the 12Vs pull a lot of amps.

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk
Can be a lot of variation in size/weight for a 14'. You get a 55# and you will be good for any conditions tho. Heck you will keep vertical better then the glitter boats on windy days.

I've got a pretty heavy 14' I run with a 30hp, and I run a 24v 70# and I'm never, never lacking in power. I've got a soft spot for my tin can tho so I went what I feel was overkill in powering it.

Sent from my SM-A716U using Michigan Sportsman mobile app
I was looking at a 86# ... Says 40hr run time on lower setting (1-2mph).. that's with 24volt.. I have the battery already.. thinking the extra power might help if the 5.5 has issues..
Reactions: Ralph Smith
Ya thatll work lol. I think that's about the equivalent of a 4 horse motor you'll throw a wake with it.

If you put that on there you'll be doing 4-5mph on full. That would be great.

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk
You'll need 2 batteries if it's a 24v. That 86# would last you a LONG time and you would never have power issues.
I was looking at a 86# ... Says 40hr run time on lower setting (1-2mph).. that's with 24volt.. I have the battery already.. thinking the extra power might help if the 5.5 has issues..
Reactions: lostontheice
That's what I'm hoping for...
You'll need 2 batteries if it's a 24v. That 86# would last you a LONG time and you would never have power issues.
Reactions: Gone_Hunting
Guess 2 battery in the bow would help ballance the weight of my fat arse .. and the extra power could help with a north breeze..
Reactions: Baybum
Ors and my ole lady rowing. 😁
I believe I've decided on the newport vessel 86# thrust.. for around 400.00,it should do the job (only paid 400.00 for the boat and trailer).. now to order n wait.. even if I can't get the boat in before season closed,should be fun for opening..
Reactions: jiggin is livin
You could get away with a 30# trolling motor for that river.. You're going to be great with that set up. Last ya days of fishing without charging the batteries
I run a 17 lb troller but have x10 horse to get around the lake because the troller doesn't get it in high winds.
Hey Josh is that a rear mount trolling motor? I used to have a 14' old tin can that I redid all the seats and transom. Some old pics in my gallery, but here's a couple. It had a 25hp when I had it finished and 70lb/24v thrust rear mount. Put 2 batteries under front seat as you mentioned to offset.my big butt and the 2 motors. I also redid the transom higher and went straight across for more draft and the 25hp being a Longshaft. Built storage into middle and rear seats and homemade rodholders to run 6 rods..LOL...here's when I started with imagination..hahaha. Old hickory seats. My dad bought the boat used in 1964! I had to put a drain plug in it too. It's hard to see but I took and old pair of jumper cables and cut clamps off then put heavy eyelets on. Ran along inside of rib along side of boat under seats inside a 1 1/2" piece of pvc to motor at rear. ;)

I believe I've decided on the newport vessel 86# thrust.. for around 400.00,it should do the job (only paid 400.00 for the boat and trailer).. now to order n wait.. even if I can't get the boat in before season closed,should be fun for opening..
Yep.. rear mount trolling motor,36 inch shaft.. I like the pvc pipe idea for the battery cables,that would help to keep from rubbing against the boat.. I don't see doing as much work as you did,but I might get bored.. but your pics rid give me a little more relief, seeing it's the same style as I have and it held a little weight in the back end. (I believe my 5.5 and trolling will weigh the same as your 25hp).. if the 86# has enough push for the river,I might run without the 5.5 to save weight.. that's going to be a test n error idea.. seat wise,I'm now t sure if I'm going to put in padded or just use throw floats as seats.. it's still work n progress..
Hey Josh is that a rear mount trolling motor? I used to have a 14' old tin can that I redid all the seats and transom. Some old pics in my gallery, but here's a couple. It had a 25hp when I had it finished and 70lb/24v thrust rear mount. Put 2 batteries under front seat as you mentioned to offset.my big butt and the 2 motors. I also redid the transom higher and went straight across for more draft and the 25hp being a Longshaft. Built storage into middle and rear seats and homemade rodholders to run 6 rods..LOL...here's when I started with imagination..hahaha. Old hickory seats. My dad bought the boat used in 1964! I had to put a drain plug in it too. It's hard to see but I took and old pair of jumper cables and cut clamps off then put heavy eyelets on. Ran along inside of rib along side of boat under seats inside a 1 1/2" piece of pvc to motor at rear. ;)
View attachment 754846
View attachment 754847 View attachment 754848
I like your style Ralph! I’m getting my old 14 back out this year.
Boat Watercraft Vehicle Naval architecture Boats and boating--Equipment and supplies
That was a nice set up Ralph. I had no idea when you talked about it it was that nice. Didnt anyone tell you never get rid of a tin can tho?

View attachment 754846
View attachment 754847 View attachment 754848
Pulled the trigger.. trolling motor ordered,and sos apt set for Monday to get the boat and a trailer legal.. now to check the 5.5hp to make sure it's ready to go, round up the safety gear (vests, whistle, ext.)..
Not sure I'll be a fat guy in a little boat, or a dude playing with his dingy..
Congrats lost on the ice. Please post some pictures once installed
1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.