Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone have any word on this hush hush legislation that would allow inland lake netting of lakes such as Crystal lake, Long Lake, Glen Lake, Lake Leelenau, and others? Word on the street is that this will be our reality, and will be anounced 4-23. I'm quite frankly beside myself, and it's no wonder this is being gag ordered. They have to know the repricussions will be significant and ugly. I know this has been a rumor mill for some time, but my feelers are saying it's reality this month. :mad: Thoughts appreciated

·
Registered
12,984 Posts
There goes what little good fishing there is on those lakes. I can personally talk about Glen Lake. Been fishing it for 30+ years. The perch are smaller and fewer than they used to be, the bass are fewer in numbers, the pike are nearly gone and the lake trout are so hard to find and catch that some say they are gone (I know they are not...our neighbor up there seems to be able to catch a few now and then). Add nets to this equation and the fishing will be non-existant in a short time.

·
Registered
454 Posts
I have a final (almost) draft of the consent agreement and nothing is mentioned of nets being used in the lakes in this post.. There are some disturbing things, IMO, about some fishing seasons and methods in the Little Manistee River and other rivers. Unless things have changed drastically in the last 4 weeks, I believe that the lakes mentioned will escape netting by the tribes. Lake Michigan will see more netting activity but recent posts on enforcement equipment and rules should see better marking of locations and thus avoidance of them.

One interesting fact....The tribe has hired a retired non-indian police officer that also holds an active charter captain license. He has been assigned to the new enforcement boat as far as I know, and is known as a "by the book" police officer.

Lets see what happens.

Wayne

·
Registered
5,812 Posts
Mallard-that's not legislation they're going to announce, no house rep or senator in their right minds would ever vote for such a thing...ever...

That's what losing that major lawsuit the DNR brought against the 1836 tribes would mean-the lawsuit they started 3, maybe 4 years ago.

The 1836 tribes, if the DNR has lost that lawsuit, will also have the right to hunt on "any traditional tribal lands"...that includes your land, if they like. At just about any season of the year they like, with as large a bag limit as they like, and no one, not even the feds, will be able to stop them.

I knew it was coming, since tribes west of us in Minnesota have already won the right to do so, so there is a precedent. They've been spearing spawning walleyes for years now, and it's all legal. And other such atrocities...in the name of what we did to them 175 years ago.

I wrote a really major article about this case for MON at leat 4 years ago, no one paid any attention at all to what I was saying.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Linda G. said:

I wrote a really major article about this case for MON at leat 4 years ago, no one paid any attention at all to what I was saying.

I am well aware of what you were saying, I saw what the tribes did in the Pac. Northwest. Salmon and steellhead fishing went down the tubes. They are netting walleys on the Columbia and ...

Well you get the picture.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts