Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
842 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want the opinion of other outdoorsman/fisherman. I bought a house on a canal on a lake, over the last year we have been renovating and moved in a little time ago. Over the renovating period I have noticed quite a few people will stop and fish on the vacant land across and next to our property. The land is vacant, and private property, there is no public access or public property near our property, and sometimes people would even fish the lake from our property. I should state I do know the owners of the land, and they have not given any access to people to use the land, but it is vacant and they do not monitor the land. It seems the fisherman have not been told no by anyone in the past, so they think it is okay to fish there. I have approached two separate groups of two, the first I simply stated it was private property and asked if they had permission to access, they were kind and stated they did not and left the area. The second group was launching a small boat from the back of there truck, so I asked to speak with them, and they became more hostile. This made me think a little bit about the approach I should have in the future. It seems in the past, the land has been vacant so no one was there to say anything. Now that we live there, I am hesitant to speak to a random Joe and get confrontational about this, yet at the same time am hesitant to let random people continue to fish the area.

So what is your guys opinions? Should I try to speak and explain to the people to not use the area? Or should I let well enough be?

·
Premium Member
12,905 Posts
I would think it is up to the landowner allow or disallow access. Unless the landowner conveys right of tenant you are overstepping your bounds.

·
Registered
842 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
As I stated, I have spoken to the owners of the properties and they have not given access to anyone to use.

·
Premium Member
12,905 Posts
As I stated, I have spoken to the owners of the properties and they have not given access to anyone to use.
Have they given you authority to control access?

·
Registered
842 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Come on man, I get the legal aspects of the question I am proposing, that is not what I am asking. I am preferring to ask whether or not other people care when people are trespassing on land next to their own. I know I can get the authority to control access, and can legally tell people to not use the land. Do other people care about random people near their home, or is there more people out there with the 'as long as your not doing harm to me and my own.'

·
Registered
4,910 Posts
Sounds more like you don't want someone catching 'YOUR' fish. It's not your property. If the land owners aren't concerned, it doesn't make it YOUR problem. If your land is tresspassed, you have a right to do or say something.

·
Banned
3,119 Posts
Sounds more like you don't want someone catching 'YOUR' fish. It's not your property. If the land owners aren't concerned, it doesn't make it YOUR problem. If your land is tresspassed, you have a right to do or say something.
Actually if it is a private lake and they gain access by trespassing the individuals in the boat are committing trespass against any owners whose property they pass thru or places they fish.
It sounds to me that someone wants to enjoy the privacy they paid for and not have a bunch of freeloaders leeching of of him.

·
Registered
842 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I could care less about the fishing. I haven't even fished here yet. As honkkilla said it is more about the privacy and random people walking around. I do pay significantly more in taxes than not on the lake.

As I have stated repeatedly, I can have the rights from the current land owners to protect their land. I don't understand what is so hard for people to get that. This is not about the legality or the fishing. It is a public lake where they are using private land to fish from and access the water.

·
Registered
20,910 Posts
I wouldn't have a problem with it, there are places around Houghton lake were its common. That is as long as their not trashing the place.

The owner obviously don't care or he wouldn't have let it go on all of that time, He's only willing to do it only because the neighbor is complaining.

If they have never been a problem, then why be one of "those guys".....hell, maybe if you talked to them you could end up with some fishin buddies

·
Banned
3,119 Posts
I wouldn't have a problem with it, there are places around Houghton lake were its common. That is as long as their not trashing the place.

The owner obviously don't care or he wouldn't have let it go on all of that time, He's only willing to do it only because the neighbor is complaining.

If they have never been a problem, then why be one of "those guys".....hell, maybe if you talked to them you could end up with some fishin buddies
Maybe the owner who is a absentee owner figures it is pointless to try to manage it if he is not there.
The real issue is since when is it OK to tresspass , I bet you think it's ok to tresspassed for hunting on property if the owner is out of town.
I'm sure you have no problem staying in your house wh=n you are out of town as long as the don't trash it , love the mentality. I could send some illegal immigrants your way maybe you can make some new " buddies".

·
Registered
20,910 Posts
Some people simply don't have a problem with someone doing that. He obviously didn't. Has nothing to do with your examples.

Have these people ever been a problem for the other neighbors ? Has the owner ever posted the land ?

One of my friends has a premium lot on a Houghton lake canal. He has no problem with people fishing, might even bring an extra beer when he comes out to see if your getting anything.

·
Registered
2,614 Posts
Come on man, I get the legal aspects of the question I am proposing, that is not what I am asking. I am preferring to ask whether or not other people care when people are trespassing on land next to their own. I know I can get the authority to control access, and can legally tell people to not use the land. Do other people care about random people near their home, or is there more people out there with the 'as long as your not doing harm to me and my own.'

If the property owner doesn't care what goes on at his property , why should you?
Pretend he is there allowing it and just post your own property and quit worrying about his business.
Simply by putting up this post we can all see you're one of " those guys ". You're just looking for everybody to justify it for you.

·
Registered
4,172 Posts
If the property owner doesn't care what goes on at his property , why should you?
Pretend he is there allowing it and just post your own property and quit worrying about his business.
Simply by putting up this post we can all see you're one of " those guys ". You're just looking for everybody to justify it for you.
Well, if the OP is paying a premium for being on a private body of water his neighbor creating a de facto public access is possibly negatively influencing his property value. In any case, anyone trespassing to gain access to the lake is violating his property rights, property rights that he has paid money for. The trespassers may feel entitled to access because of long use. Can they claim that they have used it so long that is now a public access? I don't see this as any different than a guy setting up a deer stand on the edge of your property while trespassing on the neighbors and shooting deer that are feeding on your land.

·
Registered
2,614 Posts
Well, if the OP is paying a premium for being on a private body of water his neighbor creating a de facto public access is possibly negatively influencing his property value. In any case, anyone trespassing to gain access to the lake is violating his property rights, property rights that he has paid money for. The trespassers may feel entitled to access because of long use. Can they claim that they have used it so long that is now a public access? I don't see this as any different than a guy setting up a deer stand on the edge of your property while trespassing on the neighbors and shooting deer that are feeding on your land.

Why are you adding things that aren't there? He already said it was a public lake.
If he has an issue , he should take it up with the landowner.
As for your deer hunting analogy , that would be like a neighbor telling me who I can/can't let hunt my property. Ain't gonna happen ! Ain't nobodies business but mine.

·
Registered
4,172 Posts
Why are you adding things that aren't there? He already said it was a public lake.
If he has an issue , he should take it up with the landowner.
As for your deer hunting analogy , that would be like a neighbor telling me who I can/can't let hunt my property. Ain't gonna happen ! Ain't nobodies business but mine.
You are quite right, I missed the addition further down that it is a public lake. My bad. If the property owner doesn't mind people using his land as an access that's his business and his attractive nuisance.

Reactions: Petronius

·
Banned
3,119 Posts
I think it's sad if those accessing the property haven't asked permission but just another example of the lack of respect for others property .
I know I was taught better .

·
Registered
842 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Surprised at the number of people justifying others who are knowingly breaking the law. Also, there are many assumptions going on. I do not know what all happened before we purchased the home, but I have had multiple neighbors and surrounding homes approach me with appreciation that we are improving and taking care of the place/property as it was not under previous owners. I.e. The previous owners burnt garbage, wrecked the home, had more than ten people living within, would put mounds of trash on neighboring lots, etc. so for all of the assumptions that the vacant land owners did not care, that was not the case. To the next point, if a tree falls in the woods and no one is near does it still make a sound? The vacant owners did not see trespassers, as it was vacant and they do not live near this property. I have close to a half mile of vacant land around my house, so I would have the only property directly affected.
And about being that guy? Do you mean a law abiding citizen who watches over their neighbors property to ensure it is not damaged/used/vandalized? Or do you mean someone who knowingly breaks the state law prohibiting against trespassing on others property? But who cares? As long as no one says anything I'm entitled to that access, for free.
I was hoping to have a conversation from land owners perspective who have dealt with similar issues and maybe have a few different opinions thrown around. Instead this is making me feel I do need to protect the land, because these trespassers likely have similar thoughts as many of yours, which is entitled and unlawful.

·
Banned
3,119 Posts
Surprised at the number of people justifying others who are knowingly breaking the law. Also, there are many assumptions going on. I do not know what all happened before we purchased the home, but I have had multiple neighbors and surrounding homes approach me with appreciation that we are improving and taking care of the place/property as it was not under previous owners. I.e. The previous owners burnt garbage, wrecked the home, had more than ten people living within, would put mounds of trash on neighboring lots, etc. so for all of the assumptions that the vacant land owners did not care, that was not the case. To the next point, if a tree falls in the woods and no one is near does it still make a sound? The vacant owners did not see trespassers, as it was vacant and they do not live near this property. I have close to a half mile of vacant land around my house, so I would have the only property directly affected.
And about being that guy? Do you mean a law abiding citizen who watches over their neighbors property to ensure it is not damaged/used/vandalized? Or do you mean someone who knowingly breaks the state law prohibiting against trespassing on others property? But who cares? As long as no one says anything I'm entitled to that access, for free.
I was hoping to have a conversation from land owners perspective who have dealt with similar issues and maybe have a few different opinions thrown around. Instead this is making me feel I do need to protect the land, because these trespassers likely have similar thoughts as many of yours, which is entitled and unlawful.

X2 It's the world we live in.

·
Registered
2,614 Posts

If they're breaking the law , call the law ! It's that simple.
If they won't do anything because the landowner don't care , then what are you going to do ?
Not really sure what you're looking for.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts