Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,435 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Had some fun today on the river.

Trenton Channel. If you've fished it, you've lost a jig or twelve and wondered why. This video is almost certainly from a spot you've been. About 3 years ago I dropped an Aqua-Vu down and witnessed what the video shows but always wanted to share what I saw. Here it is.

But first, a disclosure: This is the first time I've been on the river in 2018 and being over a 2 hour drive, our primary concern was to catch fish. So after we did that (limit in under 2 hours) I ran the camera's for about 15 minutes before we left. The camera's I used were ones that I could not view while I was jigging them (I used 65 pound braid as my main line and 10 lb flourocarbon as leader) so that is why there is so much movement and banging on the bottom. I apologize. But if you ignore the lack of stability, there are things to be learned. Hoping to do a better video job in the near future.

The first camera had no jig and was meant to just show what's down there. The second camera is designed to show the bait and so I tied on a high-vis jig.

Was very interested to see how so banging on the rock seemingly called fish in. Imagination or real? Also, the first time the jig got hung up, we motored back upstream and it pulled free. You can see that the old saying "If you drag you snag" is true!

The video ends with the jig hanging up on a small rock and a break off! It's not "re-rod" or an old VW down there after all!

Hope you enjoy it and consider subscribing to my YouTube. Hope to add many more like this! Pretty cool and informative.

(Apparently file is a bit too large, so hear is the link:)

·
45,143 Posts
Oh and I expected to see old jigs! But I'm guessing in a short time they get covered in crap and corrode to blend in.

My guess... banging on rocks meant nothing but more the fact that when you banged the rocks it meant they were sticking up higher and there was some sort of current break the fish could get behind. Just a theory.

·
Premium Member
5,627 Posts
Back around 2000, Fishing in the then PWT, Tommy Skarlis made a huge comeback on day 3 of the tourney. He pulled three 8 plus pound fish off a large rock he found in the closing hours of day 3. I believe his story now! Not so much back then .lol

·
Registered
1,435 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Awesome video. Thank you for posting.

Did I see 3 species or 4? I thought i saw white bass, walleye, sheep and maaaaaybe a carp.
I think the very close fish was a common carp...to make 4. We only caught one white bass and a couple drum...all from the same area.

·
Registered
860 Posts
Little rough on the camera weren’t ya lol. There’s some vids on getting jigs out of rocks. Never tried but if u tighten the line and with 1 finger strike the line like a guitar supposedly it rotates the jig head. There only 55cents apiece

·
Registered
4,137 Posts
hiding in their bellies.

I'm sure gobies, being small and kind of camo, hiding in the rocks, would have been hard to see in the video anyway.
I agree but I expected to see a few swimming around given how many I find in a walleye's stomach. Borrowed my friends camera when I went perch fishing once and I could see them swimming everywhere.

I've thought about clipping a camera onto my handline weight to see what goes on but I'm afraid I'll spend more time staring at the screen instead of paying attention to everything else. lol

·
Registered
8,805 Posts
Little rough on the camera weren’t ya lol. There’s some vids on getting jigs out of rocks. Never tried but if u tighten the line and with 1 finger strike the line like a guitar supposedly it rotates the jig head. There only 55cents apiece
I do well by dropping the rod tip then a quick snap. Think it releases the jig off the rock ledge.

·
45,143 Posts
I agree but I expected to see a few swimming around given how many I find in a walleye's stomach. Borrowed my friends camera when I went perch fishing once and I could see them swimming everywhere.

I've thought about clipping a camera onto my handline weight to see what goes on but I'm afraid I'll spend more time staring at the screen instead of paying attention to everything else. lol
I dont fish harnesses in the river much but I have NEVER caught a goby since I started fishing the DR

·
Premium Member
4,022 Posts
I started tying direct to braid halfway through the season and only lost 1 jig after that compared to probably 20 using a leader. All but one pulled free. Also changed my stingers to 20lb mono and lost less of them too. This was in the upper and lower but not in TC directly.

·
Registered
1,435 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·

·
45,143 Posts
I started tying direct to braid halfway through the season and only lost 1 jig after that compared to probably 20 using a leader. All but one pulled free. Also changed my stingers to 20lb mono and lost less of them too. This was in the upper and lower but not in TC directly.
Yep can either bend them out or maybe the minimal stretch of the braid helps pop the jig loose when you pop the line.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.